Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Im glad your son got the night off. I would still contact the teacher. Surely a short phone call would give you some inside informatio and perhaps some compromise could be reached. It is going to be a bit challenging to seperate you empathy from your sons actual specific experience. Thats always hard for me. Our empathy is our strength and yet its a bit too easy to think....I hated writing so he'll hate writing. Perhaps start a thread about writing frustration or talk to your Dw for alternative perspectives.

I would strongly encourage you to look at your original objectives and decide which ones are the most important and which ones could be tabled. In this situation where the abstract content of writing is being strongly taught I would encourage you to table handwriting. Of ther programs such as Handwriting without tears are better ways to drill fine motor. Peronsally I think that the handwriting is moreof a situation where one trains and trains and on day it just happens more like learning a Tennis serve. I am sure that there are other ways to adjust the fit as well. It hard having to taylor every bit of clothing we buy for them.

love and more love
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks again Grinity, it is hard to make that seperation for me sometimes. He enjoys the poems and the reading part. We spoke with her shortly on Friday. She gave everyone an extension of time over the 3 day weekend. He also only has 4 more days, with the 4th being a water party. We are helping him this weekend on completing the old task of 6 pages, and the new story for next week. Shorter with more detail 3 pages. I actually went through all of his work, and her comments have been helpful on writing. This is not a grammer, spelling or even penmanship course, it is more plot, setting and charecter development, with aspects of flow. We may just have him keybord the story himself, instead of writing it. Also its not handwriting just printing. I may also use bribary, I know that takes away from intrensic value, but it does work. Thank you again.

Edwin

Last edited by Edwin; 07/03/10 11:09 AM.
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    Thanks again Grinity, it is hard to make that seperation for me sometimes.
    Edwin

It's hard for me to - especially because we are the best 'first order approximation' we have to who our child is - so lots of the time it works. It is just that sometimes we need a 'second order approximation' which is why we post here! Yippee!

It sounds like you are saying that the course is almost over, and that your son has gotten a lot out of it. We used a lot of bribery over the years - there are a lot of good things to say about bribery, mostly that is keep communication very very clean and clear. It's a 'nonverbal' way to communicate "I value THIS" "I expect THIS" "I believe that THIS amount of challenge is the just right size for you." Of course, there are downsides too. As my DS13 got to be about age 12 is stopped working and I had to move on to other approaches.

Sounds like things are working out really well.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM