Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 253 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Artana
    Thank you all.:)

Grinity - You are always so sweet.

I have to agree!!! laugh

Thanks! We Rock.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    We do Rock.

I rarely use blogs or anything, because I feel like I am not really that interesting a person. So, this was a rather hard post to make. I feel like I know a lot of interesting things, and have seen a lot of interesting things, but that doesn't inherently make me worthy of writing about myself and being seen as interesting. You'll see me make a lot of posts about the kids, but not really about me.

I think I also have some odd version of impostor syndrome. I feel like world's best mimic. I love to write, but my writing tends to copy the type of writing I have recently read. Or, I love to sing and am good at it, but I once again mimic styles. When I was little, my existential depression was based on the thought that I would never create something that was uniquely mine.

P
    P
    Is there truly a relationship between IQ and depression/relationship issues? I never follow those studies so I have no idea what the survey says�

Depression/dysfunction tends to run in my family so I am not sure whether we are all just freakin� geniuses or what. If so, that kills the theory that birds of a feather are happy together. I just assume it is normal for occasional bouts of melancholy and not dwell on it.

I am not sure I understand your issue. The approach to solving your problem depends on whether you are feeling superior or inferior and since your post alludes to both, I suspect you are just wishy-washy, which is pretty much incurable.

Friendship rarely centers on the level of quality conversation (writers and philosophers probably are exempt) but rather on shared interests. Of course, you then have the difficulty of finding someone who has an interest in your hobby who knows at least as much as you do so you are not just dragging them around teaching them everything you know and not getting anything in return. On second thought, forget about shared interests.

The best thing for you to do is to get married. That way you don�t have to be friends and you don�t have to talk to each other, a win-win!

Dude, seriously� get a dog.

Ok, now that that�s out of my system� I have no advice for you. You have to realize that asking a bunch of geniuses about relationships is like asking the captain of the Titanic if there are any icebergs around (sorry, I thought I was all done). Personally I just immerse myself in my projects and I have more than enough to keep me busy. I don�t generally find it useful to join a group because i have too many interests to spend time at meetings. *shrugs*

I am who I am. Loneliness is just an opportunity to get something done without interruptions.

K
    K
    "When I was little, my existential depression was based on the thought that I would never create something that was uniquely mine." - Artana - I love that you said this - I still feel like this!! But I think I'm starting to move past it - I hope!!

This is an interesting thread for me - I too always find myself out of place, with both gifted and 'normal' people. I have tried really hard to find 'my people', and have dropped myself in to various situations where I thought I might find them. Mostly I don't - there is almost always a feeling of mismatch. It's certainly not that I don't like people - I really do, but I often struggle with how other people appear to think and often find myself saying things that people evidently can't relate to. I've never been tested, but come from a highly gifted family and have an HG+ daughter, so I suspect I'm gifted at some level. Unfortunately my career path is not one with a large gifted cohort, so I've rarely made good connections at work either.

Often when I do find people I really connect with, it is among people who are significantly (15/20+ years) older than I am, but then there is the difficulty of having completely different lives. Certainly in my small friendship group there are no two people even remotely alike and they struggle to come together as a group!

I feel very lucky to have found my husband, we both wonder what on earth we'd have done without each other!

I loved this article - as I read it light globes kept on going off! http://www.sengifted.org/articles_adults/Lovecky_CanYouHearTheFlowersSing.shtml

I think I also have some odd version of impostor syndrome. I feel like world's best mimic. I love to write, but my writing tends to copy the type of writing I have recently read. Or, I love to sing and am good at it, but I once again mimic styles. When I was little, my existential depression was based on the thought that I would never create something that was uniquely mine.

OMG Artana! I so itentify with this! My favorite writing assignements in High School as to write an 'extra chapter' of the book we had just finished. I read very little fiction nowadays, because I SO carry the writer's voice and perspective in my head - for days or few weeks! And in my head - I sound just like David Bowie - but sadly - not to other people. I used to be down on myself about it - and call myself a Zelig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelig

But now I see it differently - probably because I've found a way to put my skills into the service of others here on this very board.
    I'm super extraverted - so I'm interested in and energized by people, and my strength is intrapersonal awareness - so I am in good touch with all the various corners of my complicated self. I'm also 'touch dominant' so I learn about other through 'embodying' them. Roll it all together and I have an uncanny abilty to walk a mile in other people's shoes. Who needs to have an interesting life if they have an interested life?

I know some people who have the spiritual belief that there are no seperate people - that all of us have done and been all of it. I don't literally believe this, but I think it's a useful perspective. It's nice to be normal for a change!

Smiles,
    Grinity

A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That is awesome! I didn't know anyone else had that. It's one of the things that always seems to set me apart.:)

Hugs,
    Artana

J
    J
    But now I see it differently - probably because I've found a way to put my skills into the service of others here on this very board.

And you do this SO well! smile

((Hugs)) Artana and JJsMOm

Funny how we don't get to pick our gifts - I also have a knack for memorizing song lyrics. Other people's 'party tricks' always look more appealing,yes? At 48, it's looking like it's only been the last 10 years that I'm learning to appreciate what I do have - and to find ways to be around other people who appreciate my strengths as well!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

J
    J
    When I was little, my existential depression was based on the thought that I would never create something that was uniquely mine.

I so identify with you on this. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM