Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    It might be easier (and it certainly would be cheaper) to figure out a child's reading level by simply looking up the level of a recent book the child has read independently (and without previous familiarity). smile

Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    My biggest concern right now in preschool and down the line in kindergarten is that her intense energy, her love of challenging authority, and her desire to lead, will cause problems in her classrooms as they start to do more formal learning that contains things she did years ago and she is annoyed by it.

I'm concerned about this as well, which is another reason why I think that a trial period with the older kids is a good thing to ask for now...

You DD reminds me so much of my DS, and yes, he found that it was quite interesting and very satisfying to drive the classroom teachers crazy, and there was so little else for him to do with his time. Part of me wonders if all of those personality traits are inborn for her, or, at least partially, a result of not being placed with peer or given necessary stimulation by teachers.

When my son was 3 or 4, I was totally clueless that he was different from his classmates, so you are way ahead of me.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi No5no5

Yeah that is a great idea, but it is hard for outsiders to comprehend how utterly frustrating it is since my DD refuses to read to me 99% of the time. I'll catch her reading all manner of things and telling me what things say and once in awhile will sit down and read me a book, but I don't think I can glean from those things where she COULD perform. I really don't need to know, just had a moment of curiosity. The vocabulary that she can read is enormous and has very advanced words but her fluency and confidence isn't at the same level so I am am always left scratching my head what she really knows. She tends to hide things rather than reveal them esp. if she senses people are assessing her in any way, but then turn your back and she reveals things that make me (and others) raise eyebrows and think "hey I didn't know you knew that!" Is your child more cooperative with showing you what she knows?

N
    N
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    Is your child more cooperative with showing you what she knows?

I think perhaps because I've never pushed her to show me anything, she's never bothered to hide anything from me. She is reading to me right now (and the fact that I'm obviously ignoring her to write this post should be an indication of how often she does that). wink The flip side is that of course there could be many things that she can do that I'd never know, because I don't really ask her to show me things.

There are a number of different skills that go into reading level, and fluency and interest are part of it. I think it's relatively common for kids to be able to decode much higher level words than the books that they can read fluently (or that they want to read fluently). DD can probably decode at a 6th grade level or beyond, but I wouldn't call that her reading level since she'd be bored to tears reading a 6th grade book from start to finish. I've seen her read 4th grade level books cold, so, as far as I'm concerned, that's her level.

Also I think it is pretty common for new readers to be reluctant to read in front of people who react to their reading. My DD basically refused to read in front of my parents the last time they visited after my silly dad made a fuss when she read a street sign.

Anyway, all that to say: give it some time. As you said, you really don't need to know, and by the time you've figured it out it's likely to change anyway. grin

This reminds me of the embarrassment I had as a young reader with a much larger sight vocabulary compared with my speaking vocabulary. I still don't really know how to pronounce Persephone because I got caught saying it wrong, and now can't remember which was the mistake and which was is correct. As an adult I get around it by saying 'you know, the wife of Hades?' - luckily it doesn't come up in conversation that often!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    this is such an unnecessary point, but I associate the myth of Persephone so much more so with the abduction, Demeter's loss & mourning, and the seasons, oh yeah, and pomegranates that I might call her the maiden-who was abducted--ate seeds--mother mourned--earth mourned--retured and the earth bloomed. OK your way is better than that :-) She was so reluctant in her role as wife to Hades that I resist identifying her that way. I had no idea I felt so strongly about a mythical figure LOL

I've always said it this way per-SEF-o-knee like Per-Stephanie if you take out the T. Is that how you say it? Wait, where do you go where you sit around and talk about the queen of the underworld anyway? I don't move in those circles anymore LOL

Mr W (26 mos) spends his first hour with older kids as a trial. He has been ready for months - just has some potty issues to work on. We've been getting some resistance to going to school lately and Mr W has indicated he wants stay in the older classroom.

Other than one kid in his normal class, who is a real hard charger, he prefers being with the older kids. And the older kids just love him once they get past his size issue. I had two 5 year olds come up to me last week and tell me that "Mr W is a lot of fun! We taught him so many things! He learns really fast!"

They have to watch MR W with his age peers as he will try to do things with them that they are not ready for. He likes for one of them to sit in the wagon while he pushes it at high speed. Not good. And they pick up things from him that are dangerous for them - i.e. he can use a sharp knife to cut up food, etc. This is another reason for him to be with older kids. He may get some lumps, but at least he won't be handing them out to kids who are not ready for it. They also have to do something else with Mr W during class lessons as he will blurt out the answers.

I think a trial move is worth it. Your DD will really enjoy it and with her charisma she will become a fixture for the older kids.

Originally Posted by Austin
    They also have to do something else with Mr W during class lessons as he will blurt out the answers.

Haha, reminds me of DS in K when he walked up to the teacher's easel and started reading the instructions to the class...the class that was still working on "B = Buh"

Originally Posted by Grinity
    This reminds me of the embarrassment I had as a young reader with a much larger sight vocabulary compared with my speaking vocabulary. I still don't really know how to pronounce Persephone because I got caught saying it wrong, and now can't remember which was the mistake and which was is correct.

haha again!! Me, too...my word was/is Aristotle (I prounounced it during an oral report as ahWRISTtoetoe) I still have to consciously think how to pronounce it correctly. My teacher didn't correct me, I found out later on my own how to pronounce it and I STILL feel embarrassed that I performed that report mispronouncing that name over and over...argh! Nan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM