Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 153 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I am new here and so far I have gotten great input and advice! Very brief background for those who did not read my intro...I have 4 kids, 19, 16, 14,& 7. The 19 & 16 yr olds tested Gifted, the 14 yr old didn't, although I suspect he is smarter than the other two in other ways. The 19 & 14 have had serious school struggles, the 16 yr old is more of a traditional learner and does pretty well. My 7 yr old just tested Highly Gifted and will be going into a Seminar program at our elementary school in the fall.
    On to my question....she has not (yet) been ruined by school and loves to learn. I feel like I dropped the ball on my older three who could have progressed further if I had not left it up to the school. I don't want to make that mistake.

I read on another post someone was going to HS over the summer....DD7 would LOVE that! She is a great reader (but I have been letting that one slip a bit) great comprehension. She was one of only 3 in her 2nd grade class that met the math benchmark this winter, so she is fairly strong there too. I could really use some guidance as to what exactly to get/do/work on. Any fun educational websites would be great too.

I appreciate any advice you all can give me...I felel like I have entered a new dimension!

Dace

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Updating my post.....I went to the resources section and copied a lot of free educational web sites smile

Also we had a chat in the car this morning and I proposed that we do some fun projects over the summer. I asked her what she would be interested in learning/ doing. She thought for a minute then said Spanish.

So does anyone have any Spanish language resources for a 7 yr old?

S
    S
    We love Getting Started With Latin by Linney so much that I recently ordered his Getting Started With Spanish. (My kids are 7 and 9.) It's not here yet though, and we don't plan on starting for a few more months at least - I want them to get more Latin under their belts first (we will be continuing with Latin).

I know nothing about Spanish curriculum choices. When you decide on one, please do tell smile

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks I will look into both programs!

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    We do K12 Spanish and Latin on line courses. With coupon code (google for it), it's pretty reasonable, and the program is great and fun. For spanish, they have a story that gradually moves to more and more spanish, and they have rewards.

Do you have a link? I just looked it up and only found K12 translation services.

I
    I
    Not sure where you live or whether the cost makes sense for you, but Concordia Language Village summer camps are great for languages.

http://www.concordialanguagevillages.org/newsite/

My kids went for several years (Finnish & French), and loved it.

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by intparent
    Not sure where you live or whether the cost makes sense for you, but Concordia Language Village summer camps are great for languages.

http://www.concordialanguagevillages.org/newsite/

My kids went for several years (Finnish & French), and loved it.

Looks great, but pretty far (we are West Coasters) and DD7 is not a sleepover girl yet.

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Whether you are HSing or traditional schooling....what do you do for enrichment?

Hi Dace!

My DD is 3 1/2 and she is in a Spanish Immersion program and loves it. Though this is a school and not a DVD or computer program it really is the best way IMHO for them to truly learn. You might want to look for some summer programs in your area. Our school does summer camps. Most Immersion programs offer summer camps and it really is a way to jump start them. Besides her school, we have Muzzy and DD loves that. It is a program with DVDs, CD with music and Computer games. We actually had the Muzzy program first and though she was picking up greetings from it she wasn't really close to being fluent in Spanish. But with school and Muzzy at home she is miles ahead.

And we too are always looking for more resources to have available at home so I will definitely keep my eye on your post and see what else is out there.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dace
    Originally Posted by master of none
    We do K12 Spanish and Latin on line courses. With coupon code (google for it), it's pretty reasonable, and the program is great and fun. For spanish, they have a story that gradually moves to more and more spanish, and they have rewards.

Do you have a link? I just looked it up and only found K12 translation services.
    I think she means this http://www.k12.com/courses/k-8-courses/#worldlang

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM