Wow- thanks for all of your stories and advice! It helps to know I'm not the only one out there with a child this intense! smile

Originally Posted by no5no5
One thing that we did was to invite a (stuffed animal) "friend" or two to play along with us. We would take turns helping the "friend" talk/walk/etc., and when I needed to go do something I would ask DD to take over. It was not long before the majority of her play was independent. smile
I do this too! He'll usually take over for about 5-8 mins, then come to get me to play. Yesterday he even tried the hook, "You be Nick (his name) and you can hold this little cat and make her play and talk, I'll be Mama and I'll use the cow." LOL- I know his persistance will be a good thing someday...

Originally Posted by amazedmom
So DD definitly prefers to play with me,when older kids are not avialable...now if she can fnd friends who are 5,6, and 7, she has a ball and enjoys herself and they enjoy her. quote]
That's Nick exactly!! He's happier with 4-7 yos to play with. Interesting.

[quote=newmom21C]
We have been really making a point of doing housework in front of DD lately. She's so not the kid that wants to sort/organize/stack but rather she wants to seek and destroy!

Yes- we do the toy rotation, and Nick's been cleaning alongside me from about 11 mos on- determined to grow him into a great husband/housemate for someone some day! He loves to cook too- but oh so messy...- lately he's been more demanding with the pretend play- I think because he's really changing skills rapidly and his imagination is in full bloom? He's just so EAGER. smile
Twinkletoes- I think you have a good point about being firm and backing off to do your own work-
It's been hard for me to really leave Nick to play independently as he was/is such a resourceful, spirited kid who walked very early ( 8 mos), and needed constant supervision to prevent destruction of the house, himself, the cats, etc etc. His mechanical knowledge of how things work, powertools, vaccuum, etc etc had me on my toes 24/7, and he has intense psychomotor overexcitability, so I'm one tired lady.
In the last 5 mos, his safety awareness has greatly improved,so he doesn't need me right there anymore, but he WANTS me there to play with... I will try some of your suggestions, enjoy playing when I can, and when I need to get something done just insist he occupy himself for a while.
I did have him in someone's home daycare 2 mornings a week for about 10 mos, but it was never a great fit, and he was unhappy. Looking forward to preschool in the fall, hoping for a better fit and new friends!