Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I'm the same way, Kim: as long as he's at grade level in terms of output, that's okay with me. It's often not okay with HIM--that's where greater challenge has to come in. There are some things he really craves more of, and I try to meet those needs. But in areas that aren't his favorite, at-grade is fine with both of us. We meet the requirements and move on. It gives him more time to dedicate to the things he enjoys.

Great story, Shari. laugh

Kriston
    M
    M
    Did someone link to those HHI videos on this board? I know they were on the WTM. We got them too, my DD's are loving them.

We also have some of the Teaching Company ones but I haven't had time to watch those yet, the ones for the kids are history, mine are on religion and dark matter...

I am pushing my DD is LA with Online G3, MCT materials, IEW, and Lighning Lit. at the 8th/9th grade level, she still doesn't like the writing but it helps that it is independent of her online class.

Like everyone said, sometimes on level is just fine. smile

Last edited by melmichigan; 03/31/10 06:49 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I'm the same way, Kim: as long as he's at grade level in terms of output, that's okay with me. It's often not okay with HIM--that's where greater challenge has to come in. There are some things he really craves more of, and I try to meet those needs.

For sure! All the "input" is well above grade level around here. But if the output to show the materials still seems like torture, I don't push it. My kindergartner is doing 3-4 grade science (and it still seems easy!?), but I'll transcribe for her. DS actually is producing above level output generally - if he can type. And DS has pushed back hard on wanting deeper and harder in some areas that I'm having to adjust too. It's all a moving target! crazy

Reflecting on our own 2 year school experience gives me a lot of perspective on what DS might be doing/working on right now.

OP Offline
    Definitely w/ you on grade-level just fine for output and funny how so far it's all boys!!! My 1st grader is doing 3-4th grade chemistry, and I have him write until he's tired and then I finish. And for experiments, i write the list of items and the hypothesis and experiment design for both boys. I have them write the summary. For my 1st grader, he narrates to me, I write it down, and he copies it. For my 4th grader, we took several Bravewriter classes, he has three finished pieces that came out very nice so I consider that a good year of writing!

I do wonder how some kids handle 2-3 grade level skips. How do they handle that amount of writing!

My 1st grader is interested in genetic engineering so we'll include that as part of science.

OP Offline
    about the HHMI videos...I don't know if it was posted here or not. I saw them posted at the high school board at WTM and ordered every single one. The Double Life of RNA contains the wonderful episode from NOVA Science NOw about RNA interference which DS9 really enjoyed a year or two ago. Unfortunately, when our TIVO hard drive died, I lost it. Now we have our very own copy!!!!

Originally Posted by bronxmom
    Later that same day I tried to give him a 4th grade worksheet on classifying whales. He found an error on the page but otherwise ignored it. Certainly does suggest that I'm not challenging him enough.
    blush crazy laugh sick grin eek
    yup! I think you are starting to get the picture. Parenting is humbling, isn't it?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    [quote=Dazed&Confuzed]
    I do wonder how some kids handle 2-3 grade level skips. How do they handle that amount of writing!
    quote]

When they accelerated DS 4 years, his IEP was very clear about him being able to type his assignements. Anything over a short paragraph.

Last edited by BWBShari; 03/31/10 12:06 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students