Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #72207 03/22/10 01:03 PM
    OP Offline
    We did it finally! We are officially homeschoolers! Now I only have approximately 807 questions.

Most pressing at the time - Any advice on teaching math concepts in a discovery manner and not simply rote algorithms etc.? Are there any books available? This is mainly for my DS who just turned 9.

Thanks to all on here whose invaluable advice helped me make the decision to homeschool. We are all excited!

Breakaway4 #72211 03/22/10 01:23 PM
    Welcome to the homeschooling world!

I think the best way to teach math is to let him figure out different problems on his own. Do not show him how to solve similar problems, let him find out on his own. That's what I do. I keep joking that I don't really teach DS7 math. All I do is provide him with lots of math problems wink He quite often surprises me with his solutions. Every so often I show him the way I would solve a given problem just to point out that there are different ways to come to the same results.

LMom
    LMom #72213 03/22/10 01:50 PM
    Welcome!

I'm happy to say that after nearly 3 years of homeschooling, I'm down to only 803 questions. wink

Hands-on stuff is good. I adore pattern blocks (like a big bucket of tangram pieces, usually plastic or wood) because kids teach themselves--with a bit of steering and/or question-asking from parents--about geometry, fractions, multiplication, division, figuring area & perimeter, IDing pattern, etc. We spent much of DS8's first year of math playing around with pattern blocks and dice, frankly, and it was time VERY well-spent!

There are lots of other tools like pattern blocks that give kids hands-on help. I like to window-shop at Didax.com and LearningResources.com for fun, cheap, hands-on stuff (and books to help me figure out what to do with these props) that I can use to stock my math basket. Their end-of-the-year sales can be amazing!

These aren't formal curricula, obviously, so that may not be what you're looking for. But this approach has worked well for us.

Kriston
    Kriston #72217 03/22/10 02:05 PM
    P.S. Hi, LMom! laugh

Kriston
    Breakaway4 #72219 03/22/10 02:14 PM
    C
    C
    Have you looked at the Art of Problem Solving books? They are problem based as the name suggests - each section starts with a sequence of problems, which the reader is instructed to try seriously before reading on. Those problems are then explained in the text, and then there are others. We haven't seriously used these yet but I like the look of them.

There are also loads of math problem sites on the web - often without immediately accessible solutions, which is good :-) Try http://nrich.maths.org/public/ for example.

I also recommend Descartes' Cove
    http://www.cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/cove/index.html

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    ColinsMum #72221 03/22/10 03:40 PM
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone. Great ideas.

ColinsMum - I have had my eye on Descartes' Cove for a while but just can't afford it now.

Kriston - I like the idea of hands-on items. Any favorite books and/or sets of manipulatives you really recommend? I have limited resources right now and want to spend wisely.

:-)

Breakaway4 #72225 03/22/10 04:00 PM
    Remind me what ages you have, will you please? I am too lazy to look back...

Kriston
    Kriston #72226 03/22/10 04:11 PM
    OP Offline
    LOL 7 and 9. :-)

Breakaway4 #72235 03/22/10 06:17 PM
    This is a list of stuff we've used. But I bought it mainly because it was cheap and I like to have a lot of different things on hand. We also use workbooks, computer programs, and plain old pencil and paper.

So seriously, check the sales and buy what is cheap and looks interesting. Don't take this list as being in any way absolute. I don't pay full price ever, and then I don't mind taking minor risks on school supplies. You can get stuff for 50-80% off. Maybe not this particular stuff now, but I did buy all of it on deep discount.

In addition to pattern blocks (which were out on our floor pretty much every day for either art--Transformers!--or math every day for a year!):

* dice, including ones with +/-/x/divide and/or fractions and/or whatever else mathy that you can find: great for arithmetic games, statistics and probability, homemade board games, etc.

* balance scales that can be used for algebra. I wouldn't pay full-price for these, but they are good for illustrating negative numbers and algabraic concepts.

* Plain old wooden cubes. Useful for arithmetic, fractions, pattern making, creative problem solving, etc. Plus they can build stuff with them. smile

* Tangrams. Good for problem solving and spatial thinking skills. And the pictures are pretty. wink

* Self-correcting math games. These can be electronic, like hand-held video games. But a favorite was these plastic key-type things that had math problems on them. The child matched question on one side to the answer on the other with string, and the wrapping made a pattern on the back. If the string pattern matched the answer on the back, the child got it right. This kept both kids busy in the car for many a long trip. I have no idea what it's called, but I think we got it through Usborne Books. I've seen other things like it though. The self-correcting is the key, regardless of what method it uses.

P.S. You know that www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org offers Descartes' Cove for a discount, right? It's $105, and the deal lasts until 3/31. See https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1166

Kriston
    Kriston #72260 03/23/10 04:30 AM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    P.S. You know that www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org offers Descartes' Cove for a discount, right? It's $105, and the deal lasts until 3/31. See https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1166

Holy Price Cut Batman! Thank you for letting me know! I have an unexpected check coming in today. Time for some school supplies! Thanks Kriston. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM