Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    "... the parent really carries the burden to make a committed practice fun and joyful..." Aint that the truth!! Easier said than done though, particularly when you've got multiple children and multiple instruments involved. My angels are 8.5 and 5.5 and we haven't quite got to that stage of independent practice, although we're working towards it. So for me, learning a musical instrument is a twice daily commitment on the piano (which normally takes 45 mins before school) and another 15 mins on the violin *sigh*

And now my eldest wants to learn the flute!!!!!!

jojo

O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    So nice to have this discussion. I don't mind older kids making more progress and catching up. If we end up doing it and I'm able to make it fun for her I will give her a chance to chance her instrument when she is older. I read it is enough for the little kids to practice few minutes a day. She really wants to do something and we tried swimming and gymnastics which did not work well for her at this level. She is so far ahead physically that she would have needed much older age group (but is not ready to go without mommy) or private instruction. I'm hope sports will be better when she gets out of the toddler stage and other kids catch up.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by jojo
    So for me, learning a musical instrument is a twice daily commitment on the piano (which normally takes 45 mins before school) and another 15 mins on the violin *sigh*

And now my eldest wants to learn the flute!!!!!!

jojo

Sounds like we're living parallel lives! DS9 does around 45 minutes of piano a day, and DD5 does 15 to 20 on the violin too. Both threaten to want to learn other instruments.

Oli - it sounds like you have totally the right mind set for young Suzuki, and it can be wonderful for GT kids to able to work with a teacher directly and move at their own pace. It's been *SO* good for our kids on so many levels. Both their teachers really get them. My son really does about twice the repertoire other typical students do, but he needs it. It keeps him from moving too fast through the Suzuki music before his hands are ready. You'll have to let us know how it goes for you! smile

My DS7 took piano for a year when he was 4-5. After about a year, he decided one day that he "knew" enough about the piano and wanted to move on to the violin. We agreed to let him change instruments.

The violin has been a lesson in perserverence and frustration. The piano came quite easily, the violin has not. His fine motor skills are not developed enough to where he can make the violin "do" what he wants it to. He reads music well and knows how it's supposed to sound, but his fingers are not cooperative. Interestingly, he plays each new violin piece on the piano as well.He hasn't asked to quit which is good, but he spends an awful lot of time frustrated. His teacher seems to understand his frustration and is very patient with him. I had considered having him put it down for a year or so until his coordination is better but since he hasn't made any noise about quitting, I've let it go for now. Ultimately he says the trombone is his instrument of choice, but the rest will do until he has enough air for the big horn.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    We are going to observe lessons in few weeks, we'll see how it goes. The teacher seems good on paper. She even has a blog about creative ways to teach kids music. She said she usually starts kids at 4 but depending on the child might take 3 year olds. I'm not sure what to look for to know if DD is ready or not. Her concentration and ability to learn things are great and she is quite well behaved even when compared to older kids. Her shyness might be a problem, she needs 15min with a new person to warm up. If the teacher asks her to sing she probably won't (at first). I had her clap some rhythm while listening songs and she did pretty well.

In the mean while I try to explain her why we can not go and buy her a violin today. I ordered a 1/4 size guitar to keep her bit happier and yesterday I had to drag her from a store as she wanted to get a keyboard. I'm thinking we should buy bongo drums and some other rhythm instruments so we could play band at home with her. Where should I look for some, I would like them to be more like a real instrument less like a toy?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM