Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    I only recently discovered (and I'm almost 40!) that not everyone has that movie (or pictures) in their mind when they read... or think... or... well, anything! I can't wrap my brain around seeing in 'words'. I mean, what does that 'look' like? Do you literally see 'words'? Don't you have to get some kind of image in your mind when you read words? No? confused

I first realized in college that when people said that they were visualizing something, that they really MEANT a VISUAL image! I was floored. Prior to that, I'd thought it was just a figure of speech.

The only time I "see" images in my mind is when I dream. Other than that, all my memories, reading experiences and the like are word-based. I don't always hear the words, although I frequently do. It's more like my mind groups words together and that paints its own non-visual image or experience. I hope that makes sense.

I've found it interesting that although I can't visualize things, I am very good at recalling where, for example, I last saw an item that someone's looking for, even if it was weeks ago, or knowing when something is different in a room. These things always seemed like they'd be very visual-based memories to me, but I guess memory is memory -- just "seen" in different ways.

On the original topic, I also find myself completely swept away by books. I find them to be a true escape to wherever they lead. I just wish I had more time to read for pleasure.

Fun topic!

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    I can't wrap my brain around seeing in 'words'. I mean, what does that 'look' like? Do you literally see 'words'? Don't you have to get some kind of image in your mind when you read words? No? confused

I think in pictures or words or sounds, depending on the situation. If I'm reading fiction, I see a movie (though I'd say that I replay or rewrite scenes at later times, rather than replaying a whole film).

If I'm speaking a language I'm learning, I see words, never pictures. Never, ever, pictures.

My preferred way to learn vocabulary and grammar is from a very well-organized textbook or other kind of book, followed by reading magazines or books of increasing complexity. If I'm traveling by bus or train, I read signs as the vehicle passes them. I don't force myself to do this; it just happens naturally. I can spend two hours or more doing this. Then, I pick up the accent by listening to people (I can hear their voices enunciating words). I can replay songs in my head and sometimes the sounds are so vibrant, they almost sound real.

Odd, I guess? Does anyone else think like this?

Val

Originally Posted by Taminy
    So here's a question then....for those that have a highly visual experience in books, do you hear your voice in your head when you write, or is that something that is more typical of those of us who think in words?

When I'm writing I hear my own voice in my head. (Like right now.) It helps me sort the information. When I'm unsure of the spelling of a word, I always visualize how it should look and I will hear each letter 'said' as I look at it in my mind. When writing (on the computer) I may actually get caught up in my mind's image of what I'm writing about and not be aware of the words I'm typing... similar to how you drive two miles down the road and suddenly realize that you've been driving and not really aware of what has been going on around you. (Please tell me that others do this while driving! LOL)

Also, your post made me think about the fact that while I always see images or "a movie" when I read, I also hear the voices of the characters. I tend to assign a voice to the characters based on their personalities. If reading a manual or something instructional, I usually hear my own voice. When I recall something I've read, I "see it," and if describing it to someone else, I almost always hear the conversations *and* see the images. I never really realized this until I was reading through these posts.

This makes me want to do a study!

A
    A
    Primarily auditory here. When reading, hear words in my head, same when typing, although when reading fiction can read up to about 800 wpm so can't be hearing individual words then. Can usually tell if someone is telling the truth or not, variations in voice tone. I know who's walking up behind me by footsteps, even in a workplace.

Definitely not making a movie of a book in my head, might not be sure with visual recall if my friend wears glasses or not. Would remember them saying, "I lost my glasses case." Conversely, do frequently form visual pictures of people I've met over the phone, or heard on radio. Part is auditory cues: heavy people's voices are different than thin people's. Part is inaccurate, though sometimes the whole picture is accurate.

An example of being primarily auditory. A place I worked had different buildings on a campus. Walking a path I'd been on scores of times over years, I heard a snapping noise, and looked up. It was an American flag, flapping in the wind. I literally didn't know it was there. Sometimes while I'm moving, visual input seems to be processed unconsciously, while I'm deeply cataloging the sounds around me.

I think our species probably has both types deeply coded in our genes. Our ancestors would have needed some highly visual and some highly auditory individuals in the group to effectively watch out for danger, and remember important information.

Originally Posted by Val
    I think in pictures or words or sounds, depending on the situation. If I'm reading fiction, I see a movie (though I'd say that I replay or rewrite scenes at later times, rather than replaying a whole film).

If I'm speaking a language I'm learning, I see words, never pictures. Never, ever, pictures.

My preferred way to learn vocabulary and grammar is from a very well-organized textbook or other kind of book, followed by reading magazines or books of increasing complexity. If I'm traveling by bus or train, I read signs as the vehicle passes them. I don't force myself to do this; it just happens naturally. I can spend two hours or more doing this. Then, I pick up the accent by listening to people (I can hear their voices enunciating words). I can replay songs in my head and sometimes the sounds are so vibrant, they almost sound real.

Odd, I guess? Does anyone else think like this?

Val

Me to a T. I can replay most music I have ever heard in my head. But not conversations. It is like those two things are located in separate places. Books are visualized, too.

V
    V
    Temple Grandin a noted speaker on Autism who is herself autistic has a book called I think "thinking in Picture" or "Speaking in Pictures" If you ever get the chance to hear he speak it is amazing and inspirational. HBO has a movie about her out, hven't seen yett

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM