Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 143 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Thought they were but not sure....

DS9 - Tests HG/ADHD
    DD7 - Tests EG/PG (DYS scores)
    DD5 - has had two IQ tests so far and can't break 119....not at all what we thought because she seems pretty advanced. had one subtest at 99% but that was it (some were at 37%...) She was reading at 3 1/2 doing 48 piece puzzles by 3yr old etc. Very intense, shows all the signs.
    DS4 - highly verbal, knew letters/sounds/colors shapes, etc. before age 2 1/2. Loves to count to 100 and talk about numbers...obsessed with the computer and video games

anyway, my 3rd daughter has us stumped

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Oh, and with siblings. I guess that 3 out of the 4 of us are gifted. I would say maybe 1 or 2 HG and one MG. The youngest one is definitely not GT and she had a hard time fitting in with us in many areas.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Anne4
    I have 4 boys. They are so different from each other it is hard to tell. I think they all have some amount of giftedness (not completely sure on #3), but the levels might be very different.

DS10 is borderline MG/HG - does well in a public school all gifted classroom - tends to be in the higher groups there but is generally well served (but with major handwriting/writing issues and some ADHD stuff - very disorganized).

DS8 fits DYS criteria comfortably (except for reading achievement scores, but math is well above minimum DYS levels). He is very spacey and diagnosed ADHD also. The math will be way too easy for him in the all gifted class.

DS6 tested bright/borderline MG (done as part of an ADHD eval when he was 5 and not terribly cooperative). He has pretty severe ADHD and speech issues. At times he looks more gifted - he is amazing with certain things that he likes - he races through ThinkFun logic games (like Rush Hour or others). His speed and abilities on those always stand out to people who see him and he is pretty amazing at just about anything on the computer or electronic, but is just not great verbally. He is learning quickly in K though, so I am just not sure on him. My guess is that he will do well in normal school, but be grouped in higher groups. He may end up needing more - he does say math in particular is pretty easy, but his abilities are nothing like DS8, so hard for me to judge.

Interesting to see multiple ADHD in the family. I just called my ped today because my DD7 seems to be displaying many of the inattentive girl ADD symptoms. My oldest son is ADHD and my third is OD (maybe ADHD.) I felt terrible calling the doctor because I thought it was unlikely there were 3 of 4 kids in the same family.

M
    M
    I would say my two children are, but their personalities are like chalk and cheese, so they present very differently.

DS(16) has been tested as PG. He is introverted, shy and very driven. I often say, thank goodness he has it on paper because he would never be able to sell himself!

DD(17) on the other hand is very extroverted, verbal and the life of the party. She has never been tested and never wanted to be tested, she was subject accelerated at school without testing. I don't think DD would ever need the numbers on paper as she can talk underwater with a mouthful of marbles and as the saying goes down here "she could sell you the Harbour Bridge" laugh

DD8 is HG(+?) and was admitted early to K and skipped 3rd grade and seems to have now found a great fit.

DS6 tested MG, but we suspect he's probably higher than that. He skipped K but still isn't learning anything at school, so we might be having to do something about that.

DS11 seemed quite gifted for the first 5 years of his life but since 1st grade has been struggling and has tested several deviations below his sister and brother. We've started medicating for ADD -Inattentive Type lately and it seems to be helping some, but we don't know yet whether this undiagnosed disability could account for his huge drop in IQ over several years.

I am gifted, and my twin brother is very bright but did not test as gifted (possible LD though). My older sisters are likely gifted but were never tested. My parents, interestingly enough, don't seem to be gifted.

She thought she could, so she did.
    K
    K
    I have 2 kids, ~21 months apart. My DD6 (soon to be 7) did not test as "gifted", but tested as "above average". My DS5 tested as "gifted".

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks for all the replies. I was wondering what most people use for definitions of moderately gifted, highly gifted, etc. I was also wondering how you arranged for your children to skip kindergarten; do you mind sharing your story with me?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM