Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #65419 01/07/10 09:48 AM
    OP Offline
    To date, DS now 7 has had 2/3 of the DAS III and the WJ III. He was accepted into DYS without a complete IQ. For a variety of reasons, I've decided to have him tested again. I'd like opinions regarding the WISC IV and the SB V.

When DS took the DAS, I was told that my son stressed over the timed sections and I should consider the SBV when it came time for full scale testing. But that was 2 years ago and he has taken many sorts of timed tests since then. Nothing official but spelling tests, quick tables etc. and doesn't seem to mind the timed element at all. I had considered having him take the SCAT to see how he does in an official setting.

My son is extremely "mathy" currently working on 8th grade pre algebra, but he is accelerated to 6th in all subjects. The testing facility has someone that is well versed in GT kids and is willing to give either test. So how do you decide? What are the pro's and con's of each test?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Shari,
    I think it would depend on your reasons for wanting full scale testing...what going on?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

OP Offline
    Grins,

I feel like my DS is one step from disaster... Can't tell you exactly why, just a feeling. Since we started h/s in October he's completed 3 full years of math, and 2 years of everything else. In an attempt to slow him down, I keep going wide and wider and wider. All it seems to do is inspire him to go faster!

I just feel like I need more information, maybe it will help somehow figuring out what makes him tick. I can't just keep piling on the work, I need to figure out how to convince him to take down time and eat! He's so wrapped up in everything he doesn't eat unless I force him. He also doesn't sleep worth a damn, wakes me up in the middle of the night to talk about the amazing rollercoaster he designed in his head etc. I guess I'm looking for a magic bullet!

Shari
    C
    C
    Sympathy! TBH, testing's just going to tell you he's too bright for the test to be reliable, isn't it? I mean, in the most informative case it tells you he's much stronger in one area than in another, but then so what?

Maybe it would help to take the bull by the horns and talk about what kind of disaster you feel he's one step away from?

You say you can't just keep piling on the work: well, what if you just stop whatever you're doing to pile on the work, for a month say? Call it a consolidation break and let him do what he chooses to do, intellectual or not, but don't provide him with any new school-type work for a bit? Or institute a "break between courses" tradition, so that e.g. when he finishes Pre-Algebra he doesn't get a new course for a month (but can play with mathematical puzzles, read maths books etc., if he chooses)? I think the latter is what I might do if I were homeschooling my DS. There's something to be said for periods in which one can choose to play with a subject without the training wheels of a predefined course; and if for some subjects some times he chose not to do anything with the subject in the break, no big deal.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    K
    K
    Colinsmom - I like how you worded that. I feel like that is very much how we homeschool. I can't be "on" all the time. And I don't really want to be at college level any sooner than necessary. It's basically stalling, but DS has learned a lot of other things in the interim. We scrapped all "real" work for 2 days the past week in favor of shows, museums, and social events. We did nothing for 2 weeks over the holidays and both kids surprised me with things they invented and chose to do. I hid all "real" work. I think it was definitely a consolidation and application period of time. I think we might try it more often.

Does he have other interests you can encourage? Athletic or artistic? Drama or music? We burn a lot of time and energy on music lessons at our house. If he's waking you up in the middle of the night, make sure he's getting enough active and outdoor play. That is definitely critical at our house.

I feel your pain! Good luck!

L
    L
    Is there another subject that would interest him?

My father was a PG mathematician (went to Cambridge U, decoded Nazi messages in WWII) who loved music. He studied it, and became a professional musician, achieving the equivalent of a PhD on his instrument. The two subjects often go together -- and with music, there are no limits to where you can go.

Piano lessons might well sate DS's voraciousness! PM me if you want more info.

OP Offline
    DS took piano for a year, declared himself done and is now taking violin. He plays beautifully as far as the mechanics go but has no passion for music. It's as if playing the violin is simply another academic exercise. He practices every day without being asked but it is akin to what you would hear if a robot was playing.

He's game for anything although he doesn't have much in the way of athletic capability. He took karate for a year and managed to turn it into an academic exercise. He learned the code or creed or whatever. The ranking of each belt, the history of the style etc... He just can't seem to do something for the sake of doing.

Shari
    M
    M
    My father was a PG mathematician (went to Cambridge U, decoded Nazi messages in WWII) who loved music.

Hi Lucijane,

Sorry blush everyone, I know this is off the topic, but WOW!

I think DH and DS have watched every documentary on WW2 codebreaking numerous times. They particularly enjoy those related to Bletchley Park and the enigma.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs