Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Great stories and ideas.

I'm wondering if there is a real trend here:
    Seems like the daughters and some of the sons get intense and then move on to other things, but that many of the sons really need adults to help them 'not fall in.'

My son showed tendencies to use the computer for hours, and to the point of tantrum, and to the exclusion of other important things right from the begining. I'm sure that there must be some girls that are like this, but I don't know of any. Any brave parent want to 'fess up and step forward?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Great stories and ideas.

I'm wondering if there is a real trend here:
    Seems like the daughters and some of the sons get intense and then move on to other things, but that many of the sons really need adults to help them 'not fall in.'

My son showed tendencies to use the computer for hours, and to the point of tantrum, and to the exclusion of other important things right from the begining. I'm sure that there must be some girls that are like this, but I don't know of any. Any brave parent want to 'fess up and step forward?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

DD is like that with DVDs or TV. We can not let her watch any or she will be obsessed. I tried if not restricting her would help and she wold loose interest but it just made it worse to the point she only watched DVD and did not do anything else. Even getting her to eat was a struggle. She also got cranky and would throw a terrible tantrum if we suggested she would do something else. Luckily computer seems to be different. I wonder if the difference is that we never have tv on when she is present (actually we don't even have tv now) so she wants to hold on to it when she can. On the other hand we always have 2-3 laptops (we both have a mac and DH "needs" a pc for his flight simulator smile ) sitting freely available in our living room. She started to use one when she could pull herself up at 8mo. So she knows the computers are always available but we never like to have tv/dvd on for longer periods.

Thanks Kcab and Oli,
    I feel very relieved!
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)