Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Mommyj2
    We are in Gwinnett. DS is in 3rd right now. I'll take all the help I can get!
    Thanks,

email this lady:
    Dr. Newman's site

She didn't test DS6, but she answered a lot of questions for me without even seeing us!

Also, I didn't read this entire thing, but it's from the GA DOE, so there may be something in there:

Link

Last edited by JJsMom; 12/14/09 08:10 AM.
    M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Dr. Newman actually did our testing! She's wonderful. She has been very helpful and recommended Davidson, West GA University, UGA, GA State, and whole grade acceleration.

How did you get your son's school to skip him? How long did it take?

Thanks,
    Mommyj2

M
    M
    I am looking to have my son tested by Dr. Newman - I spoke with her on the phone - what was your experience like? I've never had my son evaluated before! What should I tell my son to expect?

M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We had a great experience. We had never even thought about testing, but DS9 was so bored he actually would cry before school if he didn't have a book to read. We just wanted to figure him out and have the tools to help him. How old is your son?

Dr. Newman develops an easy rapport with the kids immediately. They are her "friends". We did the Wisc-IV and Wiat-II. It took about seven 2 hour sessions. DS9 would get very tired towards the end of a session and if he wasn't engaged we would stop. She didn't want the sessions to be stressful in any way for him. The testing was quite tiring for both of us. DS would say his brain was tired and my nerves would be frazzled. We realized that DS had never actually had to use his brain as much as he did during the sessions.

The whole experience was postive though. It's just as a mother I was so frustrated with not knowing how to help my child and I was a little bit afraid of what the results would be. I remember saying to Dr. Newman "what if he's not as smart as we think he is?" She said there is always that possibility, but most parents of HG kids tend to underestimate the level of their childs intelligence. Boy was she right!

I would recommend Dr. Newman to everyone. She truly cares about the families she works with and makes the child feel comfortable and at ease with the testing.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck!
    Jaina

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Mommyj2
    Dr. Newman actually did our testing! She's wonderful. She has been very helpful and recommended Davidson, West GA University, UGA, GA State, and whole grade acceleration.

How did you get your son's school to skip him? How long did it take?

Thanks,
    Mommyj2

I'm just seeing this. I actually barely did a thing... his K teacher recognized his need for acceleration within 2 weeks of the start of school. And the ALP teachers were wonderful with his testing, etc. I went into a meeting thinking I'd have to fight for it, and they had already had the paperwork signed.

Oh and since he was tested at the school, it took about 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by JJsMom; 02/19/10 08:37 AM.
    M
    M
    My son is 5 yo - we have suspected him as gifted, but he also has some additional issues. When I spoke with Dr. Newman before, she seemed to really "get" gifted kids. I had called her and she spoke to me for 20 minutes without even knowing my name! While she is expensive, I didn't get the feeling that she is in it for the money. Still,7 - 2-hr sessions?! I know she doesn't take insurance; you felt it was definitely worth it going to her all things considered?

LOL - " ' I remember saying to Dr. Newman "what if he's not as smart as we think he is? '" That's how I feel! Some days I think he's actually 30; others, I think he is 3! He's an excellent reader, does well with math and loves science, but has difficulty with dexterity and social situations (though both are - slowly - improving).

I guess I just wanted to know if I'm making the right decision going to her first! Thanks so much for letting me know your experience.

M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Dr. Newman totally "gets" gifted kids. I think most of her work is with GT kids. Yes, she is pricey, but I didn't want to get DS evaluated by someone with less experience. Gifted is a special realm. She will submit to your insurance if there is a diagnosis along with gifted, such as a sensory disorder or something like that. All in all it ran us $3,000. Yes, we had 7 two hour sessions. It doesn't always take that long, but DS hit the ceiling on several subtests, so it took a long time to get through it all.

DH and I feel it was very worth it. We were to the point of ultimate frustration and we didn't know how to help DS. DS is one of those kids that fly under the radar. He wasn't causing any disruptions, wasn't rude or defiant, but he started saying things like he wished he was dead and he didn't have any friends. That's when we decided to have him tested.

Like your son, DS had motor and social issues. We called him our little old man trapped in a toddlers body. He has lots of physical and emotional sensitivities. I mentioned this to Dr. Newman and she said that the sensitivity never lessens, the child just learns how to adapt. She recommended a great book called "Mellow Out They Tell Me...If I only Could".

I wouldn't say the testing has paid for itself yet in terms of school placement, but it has helped DH and I understand him better and has opened up a new door for him. As we went through the testing DS learned a lot about himself too. We use the scores as a tool to help us advocate for DS.

It's a big decision, and the cost of testing was just the tip of the iceburg. We have him enrolled in all sorts of stuff just to keep his mind active...chess, piano, karate, robotics, spanish...not to mention books! We go through 6 novels every two weeks, I can't keep up with him smile

Someone on this site said to hang on because it's a crazy ride. They are absolutely right.

Jaina

M
    M
    Wow - your son sounds alot like mine! We pulled him from a GA pre-k and have placed him in a private Montessori school due to a very bad experience. He would cry and say that he "wished he was dead," or wished he could move to Pluto. Ultimately, a severe bite was the icing on the cake at the GA pre-k. About a week ago, when my husband was discussing my son's misbehavior, my son said that he wanted to "shot (sic)himself," and my husband and I could make a new son. My husband wasn't being nasty or harsh, either, but my son cannot stand the criticism. That, plus I strongly suspect that he (and I, and a number of other relatives) has dyspraxia.

Often, my son is capapble of doing things, but will not try (I think) because he can not instantly do it perfectly. He has been this way since a baby. I think he was reading longer than I fully realized because I would sometimes "catch" him reading and he would stop. Now he can read most anything, but prefers either science stuff (space, insects, etc) or fiction (particularly if it's funny).

Last edited by Mama; 02/23/10 04:33 AM. Reason: clarification
    M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yep, sounds familiar. All these things start adding up over time and you realize you have a very special child on your hands. I know what you mean about the criticism. Whenever we would correct DS he would break down in tears and say how horrible he was and how he's the worst kid ever.

Part of the issue with not trying stuff for my DS is that most things come so easily that he doesn't know what to do when confronted with a challenge. We have DS enrolled in piano because it's the one area where he has to practice a little bit.

I hope the Montessori works out. Will he start K next year in public school?

M
    M
    I'm torn about starting him in public K. We live in a good school district, and I've heard great things about the school we are zoned for. However, DS is happy at his school. They are working with him, and said that they will work with whatever Dr. Newman recommends. He doesn't dread school anymore. Of course, sometimes he doesn't want to go when he's tired (sleep has been an issue since he was a baby). One morning he told DH that he didn't want to go to school, he wanted "to retire." I'm inclined to keep him where he is, even if it means another year of beans and rice!

Where in Gwinnett do you live? Does your son go to public school? Have they been good about making accomodations for your son?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM