Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    DS5 is in first, he has homework practically every night M-Th. Most weeks he has a 6 page packet for spelling, but he just started getting differentiated spelling words. Each night he will have to do different things with them, put them in ABC order, write them 3x each, put them in a sentence. And then he usually has math 2-3 nights a week. It is the most simple ridiculous things...but we are working on trying to differentiate that. It usually takes about 3 minutes to complete at this point. I am not a huge fan of homework.

M
    M
    I wonder Kindergarten usually has no homework for kids. But if it has, it is usually like a coloring or patten worksheet.

I prepared a lot of worksheets for my son since he was 3. That's his homework. Like coloring, drawing, numbers and letters tracing, later I print a lot of maze for him. He is a maze-fan. If he feels fun, he could "walk" scores of maze without rest. For a period, when he wakes up, the first thing is to do some "homework".

I don't depend on the daycare or kindergarten to teach the kids a lot.

My son can do simple addition, subtraction and division. For this period, he does not want to do the worksheets. I just let him be. I usually prepare 20-30 pages' worksheet for him.

Perhaps some day I could "show off" my worksheets.

motherbear--mother of 4-year-old son---not gifted but eager to learn

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    GD5's Kindergarten teacher sends homework folder every Monday to be returned on Friday. It goes something like this (this week's)"
    Mon - Write 2 sentences using new sight words; practice counting to 50 by 1's, 5's & 10's; Practice tracing nos to 20 & write them.
    Tues Write about what you did over Thanksgiving Holiday & draw a picture to go with it; do Math Worksheet ...
    Wed Read your library book. Write & draw about your favorite part.
    Practice new letters & sounds from list. Practice writing those letters and write 3 words for each letter.
    Thurs Read printed book (too simple so we read other books)to an adult; math - do worksheet ...

We have to do all during 2 nights since she goes to dance the other 2 nights. The worksheets & reading are easy for her, but she HATES writing. It is a battle to get her do the writing homework every time (although she does need writing practice). I don't think it would take her that long if she wouldn't fight it so much. The biggest problem is she only has about 2-1/2 hrs. from the time she gets home from (full day K)school and getting ready for bath and bed. She wants more time to just play.

Interestingly, my gr. niece, also 5. is in a different school district nearby and they get a monthly homework folder. It's mostly looking for things around the house etc. and none of it has to be turned in.

Amazing the difference between the districts!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM