Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Oh man, now that I could do without.....

DD is recognizing a good bit of words but is not really into reading them together in sentences, she just makes them with her magnetic letters on the fridge or reads them when I make them, or if I point them out, but in books she is to interested in the pics still

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    M
    M
    Your kid is cute. You should encourage her to continue.

My son began to speak at 2 while he started to walk very well. I mean he could speak very well not babble.

I read to him almost every day since he was 6 months old. When he began to speak, the first month I remember he could follow the last word of my sentences in the Winnie Pooh Series. Then for the second month, he could recite the story paragraph by paragraph. He could know 50-100 characters before he was 2 and half.

After we moved to Canada, it took him one and half years to "know" a bit of English. He could read a bit now. He could read MaX and Ruby, Curious George, Thomas. He could read all the stuff he is interested. But for his native language, he almost forgot it. He only knows several characters.

M
    M
    That's the beginning. My son first put all the magnetic letters everywhere. Then he identifies the words on the book. Then some day he could read.

Your kid is still young. My son began to know how to write numbers and letters when he was 3. Now you see after one year
    he could read aloud some books.

It is easier for kids to learn English than other language. I only guess. Since I notice my son just can pronouce the words and identify the words, which is quite different from his native language.

Nice chatting with you.

O
    oli Offline
    O
    Thank you for sharing motherbear. DD is bilingual and it would be easier for her to learn to read with our own language, it is phonetic and pronounced exactly like written. She is also stronger in that language than in English, she speaks both of them in sentences but is able to explain her feelings better with our native language. Still for some reason she is attempting to read English.

Now she also writes with her fridge magnets, likes to read some word in a story and even some simple books she can sight read. Every now and then she amazes us reading some difficult words and we have no idea where she learned them. Last weekend it was Brita & chocolate, even DH was shocked and frightened.

M
    M
    Thank you, Oli.

Kids learn very fast. I try to read my son every day no matter how tired I am. "Read to Your Bunny, and your bunny will read to you!" Almost after reading stories of Max and Ruby, my son began to read. He could read one page, then I read one page. Or he reads one book by himself.

T
    T
    that's neat and scary isn't it? My DD was the same way at that age...just wait to see what scary stuff she does over the next year :-)

Mr W ( 22 mo) told us one morning this week that "I want to learn how to read." while holding a book. I am pretty sure he knows some sight words.

My sneaky reader who has been able to read sight words and signage since before turning 2 yet quickly hid it when we would show interest or excitement, but is now asking to read. Huge change for her. I think it correlates to her potty training. She finally accepted she needed to potty trained and was trained by the 2nd day for pee but we had another week of struggle with pooping on the pot. It was when she accepted that she had to practice that we turned the corner. She is now taking that experience and applying it to reading. She told me that she wants to practice and practice so she can read her books on her own. It definitely sounds like she is ready to commit. So we will give it a try and see how she handles it.

I'm so glad to read this thread. What fun to have an early reader! Such a joy!

I didn't even think DD 2.99 recognized any letters of the alphabet until last night. I pulled out Hop on Pop for the third time ever and she "read" it to me. Of course that's an easy one to memorize, but when I quizzed her on the letters and words, she blew me away and knew them out of order, backwards and forwards.

DD is not an early reader by any stretch, but it's fascinating to see her cognitive explosions. There is nothing gradual about her milestone attainment.

N
    N
    Um. If your not-yet-3 year old is reading, at all, she's an early reader. smile I've heard kids described as "early readers" if they are reading (at all) at 4 or 5.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM