Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 194 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #61658 11/17/09 08:07 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Dh and I were floored tonight...We were at dinner with DD 2.8 and she was drawing on the back of the paper place mat, and she drew us.....now she has been drawing a head and a body, well kind of, 2 shape drawings of people for a few months....well suddenly she drew a head, body, arms, hands, legs, feet, eyes, nose, mouth, hair for all 3 people she drew....we were shocked. The were very clear detailed representations....needless to say that place mat came home with us LOL.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    amazedmom #61664 11/17/09 08:13 PM
    O
    O
    frame that!

amazedmom #62561 11/30/09 02:06 PM
    M
    M
    fantastic.

My son enjoys drawing too. But he showed his great interest after he learned how to write numbers and letters.

it is great for your kids to draw earlier. I feel all crafts by hand can activate the brain's development.

mother bear--4 year and 3 months' son. not sure if he is gifted.

motherbear #68330 02/07/10 12:52 AM
    P
    P
    My daughter did the same. At 12m she was bored with her two year old toys and I knew I couldn't get the 3yr old toys because of choking hazards.....so I went with crayons. At 15m I woke up to a clicking noise on the wall....she had colored a mural on her wall with smiley faces included. She blamed it on her cousin:) By two she was drawing everything you could imagine. She drew a picture of her daddy with a beard and nostrils. She stopped for awhile and just scribbled tiny marks onto paper. Then around 2.5 she went into a monster and dinosaur stage. She would laugh so hard at her funny pictures. Now at 4.6 she actually gets what she wants to draw or paint, puts it in front of her and draws as many different details as possible. She drew cinderella's castle and you could see where she had attempted to get the perspective right. She mixes colors to make more accurate ones and loves to do collage work. I think it does help alot....she taught herself how to write all her letters around 2yrs. I have a nice sized portfolio of her stuff....I know it will cheer me up oneday when she has moved on to college.

amazedmom #68333 02/07/10 04:57 AM
    T
    T
    Amazing, isn't it? I promise you that even more delightful drawings will decorate your home soon. My DD has also really surprised, even shocked me, with her drawings and I have quite a collection now. She also amazes me with the things she can sculpt. Drawing has always come easily for me, and I am glad that she also seems to have that ability. I wonder what wonderful thing your daughter will reveal next :-)

amazedmom #68413 02/08/10 12:17 PM
    Very cool, definitely save it! My mom made a book with dates on all my drawings over the years and it's fun to look back through them.

DD's been getting into like crazy scribbling on EVERYTHING right now (her plastic dollhouse got a new paint job, thankfully it'll come off...)! I love it and can't wait for all the people that will come eventually. smile

newmom21C #68421 02/08/10 02:32 PM
    P
    P
    I think I am going to have to watch mine when she goes to school also. When she had just turned 4 she started drawing disturbing pictures. It was about the time she started waking up in the middle of the night pointing at the wall and screaming.....I say she was awake but I think she was really still asleep. When I tried to hold her or calm her down she would start hitting me and usually only one eye was slightly open if any at all. But she started drawing pictures of herself with her female anatomy included....they usually included spiders crawling on her body and tears coming out of her eyes. She would also draw pictures of herself trapped in a cage holding the bars and crying. I asked her if she was scared about those things and she wouldnt talk about it. She did start talking about some of her nightmares. This is, I think, the hardest part of being gifted. We grow up so much faster and we not only see the amazing things around us but the scary things also. I still remember some of the disturbing nightmares I had as far back as 2 yrs old. Then of course when her bird died things got worse for awhile. It is tough to watch your child understand death, sex, pain, and real fear at such a young age. And the mystery is how does she figure so much out. She watches Sprout and Winnie the Pooh and has tea parties just like any other child....but her eyes are always watching and making connections that most adults don't even realize are there. At least art is an outlet:) She just had her first boy cousin and witnessed her grandmother changing his diaper.....needless to say she is very concerned about why boys are different than girls. The last thing we need is for her to go to kindergarten drawing naked boys:) But if she does I am sure that won't be the only thing I will have to explain to her teacher:)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs