Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 181 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Aly in Va. #61037 11/12/09 10:26 AM
    N
    N
    JenSMP - My highly gifted DS(just turned 7) started at Montessori last year in the Lower Elem. We skipped trad. K, so this was his first time in "real" school. We had a bumpy start (us and DS), but the adjustment was smoothed out mid-year and now as a second year, things are going great. No other school we looked into (LOTS!) was able to offer the flexibility for him to really enjoy learning things that interest him. He can go deep in geography and history subjects. He is still responsible for learning math, grammer, etc. He probably isn't being overly challenged in these other areas, but he's getting what he needs and is still working a grade or so ahead. He's happy. I think at any school, it does come down to the teacher. We are lucky that DS has one that understands him and his capabilities. He was able to have 2nd and 3rd year lessons as a 1st year. We love that we has three years with her. Not sure what 4th grade holds for us at this point, but I think we're set through 3rd!
    Financially, it's killin' us! But were making it work. The best of luck in whatever decision you make!

Cathy
    ncmomof2 #61053 11/12/09 12:52 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Cathy. It's going to put a big dent in the finances around here too to send ds to Montessori, but we really feel like we need to give it a shot. We, too, have researched a lot of schools, and this just seems perfect for our son. The great thing about homeschooling the first half of tis school year is that I've learned so much about ds, and I know that if Montessori doesn't work out, I CAN hs! Don't get me wrong; it's a challenge, but I know I can do it if we need to. We were able to choose the teacher, and she seems perfect for my ds. She gets him, quirks and all, and she recognizes his abilities. We, too, feel that we are set for the next 3 years if all goes well. We'll reasses along the way, and if it ever stops working, we'll find another solution. I really want ds to be challenged, and it's necessary for him to stay interested and engaged, but I also want him to find his love of learning again and revel in the freedom to choose his own path. The Montessori school will give him that opportunity, and I think that will do wonders for his confidence. I honestly feel that the rigid private school he was in squashed his self-esteem and confidence because he could never voice an opinion, share a thought, or make choices for himself. I'm not sure I ever see my ds in a traditional school setting. If we are lucky enough for Montessori to work through 6th grade, I have no problem homeschooling again, althought I might rely on some kind virtual school. Homeschooling has made me see that there are alternatives to traditional school and that traditional classrooms are not for all students. My ds doesn't have to be like everyone else; he is who he is (although I could do without the temper tantrums). : )

JenSMP #61058 11/12/09 01:05 PM
    H
    H
    Good luck Jen! Keep us posted. What a journey, huh?

hkc75 #61077 11/12/09 03:32 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yeah, no kidding! I'm feeling a little guilty about already bailing on the homeschooling, but one of us (ds or I) are going to go insane pretty soon. If we keep this up much longer, I'm going to have to start self-medicating (myself, I mean)! Ds loved the Montessori school so much, we figured it can't hurt to try one semester. Thanks, and I'll definitely keep you posted! Hey, hkc75, how's your hs program going?

Jen

JenSMP #61085 11/12/09 05:19 PM
    H
    H
    Jen, I pm'd you. Long story short we are off to the neurologist end of Dec and we were advised to back off reading and writing until we have more data.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM