Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    This is a great thing to do Ladybugmom! Take out three or four toys and set them up to look inviting. If all the toys are put away my kids, even at 7 and 8, will wallow around and complain there is nothing to do. Another trick, start an activity yourself and see how fast it becomes the thing to do!

I have a lot of friends whose sons at one time or another forsaked many things the previously enjoyed to stay totally glued to games and TV. In discussing it, we came to the conclusion that is was the fathers' fault for not being more involved with their sons - maintaining that connection with them. So, now, they play with their sons on the games, even if they suck at it, to maintain that connection. They also enforce "family nights" where no games or TV - where they do anything they want.

This has worked quite well.

I know Mr W loves his videos and TV, but he also loves helping me do repairs (hands me the tools) and mow the yard. We only allow videos in the AM when we are getting ready and maybe some on the weekends. He is a lot more fun if he has had no TV, that is for sure.

I have to say, I HATE the term "screen time". To equate all television programs or all video games with each other is bad enough (think of the difference in mental stimulation between, say, "Hannah Montana" and "The Dead Zone"). To equate the two of them, a non-interactive medium with an interactive one, is even worse. There are plenty of video games that spark more thought than the very best "real toys".

Ladybugmom: I must advise you that your son is almost certain to know you've lied to him if you tell him his games "broke".

Austin: it's great to hear about parents playing games with their kids. My mom used to try and we always had a great time figuring out how she'd managed to get herself into whatever ridiculous situation she had found (it usually involved facing backwards and not realizing it)!

Breakaway: I've just been accepted to the University of Connecticut's MA program in Educational Psychology with a focus in Gifted Education. I'll be doing most of it online (summer courses in CT). It's a great program with a great reputation - Joe Renzulli is still a teaching faculty member (at 73!), the National Resource Center for Gifted and Talented is on the campus, and the Neag School of Education is consistently top-ranked. I also considered the University of North Texas. You can find more info on Hoagies.

OP Offline
    Zhian,

I am very familiar with the program as it is the one I intended to attend, in the same format as you will be. I wish you great success in your studies. I am quite envious!

L
    L
    Originally Posted by zhian
    Ladybugmom: I must advise you that your son is almost certain to know you've lied to him if you tell him his games "broke".

I was speaking out of frustration. I wasn't serious.

Originally Posted by LadybugMom

I was speaking out of frustration. I wasn't serious.

Ah, well I did wonder, but it's the sort of thing MY mom really would have tried...:D

L
    L
    I just need to come up with some guidelines - x number of minutes per day and use it as currency when I need him to pick up toys etc. Usually when I tell him he needs to pick up toys first, he forgets about the video game and plays with the toys instead of picking them up (easily distracted). I've been sick for the past 3 weeks with H1N1 so it's been really easy to just say "sure - you can play a video game while mommy lays on the couch!" I'm just now starting to feel human again so we need to get back into a routine.

O
    O
    limiting TV & computer game time in Parenting and advocacy has some ideas.

This is what I do. On a school day 1/2 hr computer time allowed and 1 hr on weekend. I keep it a little loose. If they are playing something good for them and it's a rainy day they can do more.

We had some problems with games getting too intense and behavior issues related to computer. Last summer, I took away all my son's game time on the computer and got him a online writing course which he loved. After the summer, he got games back except for one and he's not messing with me anymore on this.

S
    S
    DS loves the computer also and sometimes mentions wanting to be a video game designer. I'd love to hear more info about those that got their kids into programming.

OP Offline
    For games a bit more "out there" in concept and execution, try the ones mentioned in this article - World of Goo, Machinarium, and Braid especially.

Zhian,

Just to let you (and everyone) know...We downloaded free demos of Braid and World of Goo and the kids love 'em! Both require some great strategy and higher order thinking skills. Braid is very challenging but beautiful and very cool. Goo is challenging and cute. Thanks for the suggestions. We would have tried Machinarium but it was not available.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM