Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    Mam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I guess my rambling point is that getting into DYS is one little bit of help you have for your child and as long as you don't let them define themselves by DYS, I don't see where it matters what truth you tell them as long as they are sensitive to the other 99.9 percent of kids in the world.

Parening is hard! Balancing is always one thing that makes it tricky. That fair is not equal is something that is really hard to grasp. My parents expected better grades of me than my brothers. It drove me nuts that they'd get a high five for a B, and I got a frown for the same B. I "knew" it was the right thing, but it still made me feel it was unfair. I guess back then (elementary) I thought was smarter, and then more was expected of me. I did not consider personalities. I am pretty sure my younger brother would score higher on an IQ test, but he never cared for that school recognition. I did, we are probably still in a similar range, but personalities were just different.

I wonder about the sibling issue as well. I did get to relax a lot. My 4 year old just got tested on the WPSSI, and her verbal score was 99.9 (but not high enough for YSP). Since English is our second language, I fully expect her to get the required number in a couple of years. Achievement wise, she is not interested in academics yet, but I guess once she takes off, and she is 6 or older, we'll go ahead with testing to see if she will qualify.

However, from how it looks now, she would qualify on verbal only... we'll see; there is no crystal ball. Funny also, younger one appeared much smarter when super young, but not as much as sister, now at 4. Who knows what they will look like in 2 years!

Thanks for your post.

MON,

We have similar issues because we're currently homeschooling one and sending the other to public school with no accomodations. He may be 2E, may or may not wind up a DYS kid like his big brother, may or may not move to homeschooling in the future...

Different kids, different needs, different tools.

I think your point about intelligence not being all-important is the key point. I so agree!

Kriston
    S
    S
    Great question Mam, and great responses from everyone!

I haven't even thought about telling dd7. I figured DYS would be more of a behind the scenes thing, with me getting and implementing advice that I can bring to the school.

But it's true, I would like to meet some local families and participate in some events, and then there will be some 'splaining to do!

My situation is complicated by having an older dd who has all the gifted intensities, but not the pure academic strength of my younger dd. It will be a constant balance to make sure dd7 has all the resources available to her, without having dd9 feel like "less."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM