Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 181 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #58932 10/21/09 07:36 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Ds6 (turned 6 in beginning of June) is in 1st grade. He did wonderfully in K, and in 1st grade, his reading and math are way above grade level. I am meeting with a team from his school next week to discuss "options". This morning his teacher e-mailed me - she met with the ULE (gifted) teacher yesterday to discuss him. They decided that he will join a small group of 2nd graders for math enrichment with the ULE teacher (I presume once a week). He will also go to 2nd grade for math !! They tend not to want to test 1st graders, but if he does well in the enrichment group, the ULE teacher might test him in the New Year. I truly don't know if he is "gifted" or just bright - though I am interested to find out smile We do have a gifted school here (2nd - 5th grade), as well as the gifted programs in the school - but I'm still in 2 minds whether I would send him to the school if he qualified. Seems like a no brainer, but his current school is the local "Math, Science, Technology" specialized school, which is perfect for him. Ah well - I guess we'll wait and see. I am just so happy that his teacher is advocating for him !! smile

J
    J
    That's terrific!

B
    B
    How wonderful that they're accommodating his abilities so early! I wish all schools would be that flexible...

N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I am so happy - he started going to 2nd grade for math this week, and is loving it !! He says it is harder than 1st grade, but still easy - so we'll see how it goes. The math enrichment group is him plus 6 2nd graders, they are doing algebra - "Hands on Equations" which he is also enjoying - he says it is harder, but still do-able smile

T
    T
    My daugther is also doing the same thing as they are recommending for your son. She is in K but goes to 1st for reading and math everyday. It seems to be working out okay but I do notice that she is missing some things while she is switching back and forth when she speaks to me about her day. For one thing the K teacher is not assigning her any "jobs" and she really enjoys things like that to play a leadership role in. We had parent teacher conferences yesterday and they want to keep doing it that way. We approached the option of whole grade skip but the principal was not to keen on it. My question is what do we do with her after this year and the year after that and so on. The answer from the K and 1st grade teacher was will will approach that when the time comes. I don't want her to be a flip flop her whole elementary years!

N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Oh, I know how much they like their little jobs at that age ! Luckily, my son goes to 2nd grade math while his 1st grade also have math, so he doesn't miss out on anything. Though on Wednesday, when he wasn't scheduled to go to his 2nd grade class, they sent someone for him anyway. His class was lined up to go to art - his teacher asked him which he wanted to do - "Art or math", and he responded with a definte "MATH" smile

J
    J
    Great news NCPMom!!!

E
    E
    Great news! Thanks for sharing.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    Ds6 (turned 6 in beginning of June) is in 1st grade. He did wonderfully in K, and in 1st grade, his reading and math are way above grade level.
    Hi NCPMom -

I am very glad things are going well for your son. It is also encouraging to hear your story because we have a similar situation, but about 12 months behind you. smile

My ds is 5.5 (turned 5 in may). We know he is bright/advanced, but we don't know how gifted beyond that either. He does have an ok time in K (likes free play, his teachers, classmates, recess, extras, etc.) but he knows what they are teaching already. We are not as fortunate to be in a science/tech school so the material they get is not so interesting.

When you said your son did well in K, I was/am curious. What did he like about it?
    How far above grade level are his math and reading?

We are getting ready to move and go to a new school. I am trying to figure out what I should advocate for when we get there. Debating whether to start now, or wait until 1st.

Thanks in advance!

- EW

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM