Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 153 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    It's been a while since I read this. May not be appropriate for kids, but it IS appropriate in the context of a GT kid awakening to their gifts, then having them squashed. Many think that its an allegory on special ed, but its also an allegory on the development of unusual abilities.

Maybe he can read it and write on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Austin
    It's been a while since I read this. May not be appropriate for kids, but it IS appropriate in the context of a GT kid awakening to their gifts, then having them squashed. Many think that its an allegory on special ed, but its also an allegory on the development of unusual abilities.

Maybe he can read it and write on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon

ha... excellent... thanks! smile

K
    K
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    This is why Ruf levels never make any sense to me because they depend so much on early milestones that are dependent themselves on oodles of inputs, many which seem only vaguely related to giftedness. I can't imagine *any* early milestone being universal for HG kids ...

Kids seem to develop at different rates. I find where they end up far more interesting than how they start, and I suspect many late bloomers develop at astonishing rates once they get going. My kids learned to walk at different times but they all walk well now and the same is true for reading.

Great post! Totally agree.

I agree that any one or two or even several milestones reached early mean nothing in and of themselves. I think LOTS of milestones reached early can be an indicator of GTness.

I think Ruf helped me personally because she offers concrete groups of milestones that work together to indicate just how "serious" the giftedness is. If the milestones indicate level 4, that's a different scenario than if they indicate level 1 or 2. I thought I had a level 2 kid; the milestones said he was a level 4 kid. That opened my eyes, and they needed to be opened.

I don't think her levels are the final word on giftedness, anymore than I think one test is the final word on giftedness. But I think milestones are one more tool that can be useful in seeing kids as completely as possible so that their needs can be met. More tools are better than fewer.

The danger I see in milestones is if they lead people to think that a given child is *not* gifted because s/he didn't do everything early. That's problematic.

As for the article, at least they gave the kids an extra year. Usually they say everyone catches up by 3rd grade...

wink cry

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    The danger I see in milestones is if they lead people to think that a given child is *not* gifted because s/he didn't do everything early. That's problematic.
    wink cry

TOTALLY agree! As someone who flew under the GT radar until late high school/college, I have a special place in my heart for HG+ kids that are underachieving. My 2 kids (1 HG+, other TBD) have little natural work ethic. They expect everything to just fall in their laps. DS works comfortably 3-6 years ahead of grade level with prodding from me a couple hours a day, could easily do more, but would much rather re-read comic books. crazy He does a little dramatic play every time I expose him to a new math concept, and is doing it without effort 5 minutes later. I shudder to think where he would be right now had he not been IDed in his PS kindergarten class. He is much better than when we first started HS.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My son started reading at 2, was reading fluently on a first grade level at 3, was reading fluently on a third grade level when he started kindergarten, and after vision therapy during kindergarten was reading on a fifth grade level. Now in second grade he reads on a solid middle school level overall and at an adult level in areas of interest.

I fail to see how his more average peers are going to catch up with him by fourth grade.

They must be doing something wrong at Spring Hill School if their precocious readers start to fall behind by grade four.

Originally Posted by Val
    No one thinks that maybe, just maybe, forcing her to put her finger on the letter B and sound out words like c-a-t mightn't be a problem?

Val

LOL! That's my kindergarten days to a T...and so true generally. If people are "catching up" to early readers, something's gone wrong.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by aeh - 09/16/24 02:00 PM
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM