Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I certainly didn't post this to insult non-gifted kids. I can only speak from my experience here and like I said before this is exactly what my son is learning in K right now. And again I can only wish that he had the same Kindergarten experiences as some of your kids. Just this morning he cried not to go to school because it's so boring frown

For the record, I didn't mean to insult non-gifted kids either, as I am a parent to one (or at least a child who would be deemed ND by her brother's "standards"). I know for the items I posted, they are pretty much dead on, as this state uses the CRCT, and they hardly waiver from what needs to be learned based on each grade's CRCT level.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I certainly didn't post this to insult non-gifted kids. I can only speak from my experience here and like I said before this is exactly what my son is learning in K right now. And again I can only wish that he had the same Kindergarten experiences as some of your kids. Just this morning he cried not to go to school because it's so boring frown

Though I'm not using that listing to say "my kid is smarter than that kid", I did find it useful in my own personal assessment of dd. I figured she was near an "end of K" level and that listing gives aide to that assessment. I think our district has a bit more on the academic side too - K kids learn up to 100, for example.

L
    L
    Not meaning to insult anyone either, or suggest their kid is at any particular level or not. I agree that, if you speak to the Kindergarten's teachers, and they agree these are their expectations at the end of K and that children should not be further ahead, then the school would probably not be a good fit for a child who has already achieved them. It's just that I personally find those goals so low for a child of average I.Q, that in themselves, without further investigation, I wouldn't assume anything about the school or my child's abilities regarding Kindergarten.

O
    O
    Our state provide information on what they should know by K in booklets. One might look on a state ed. website.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM