Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Is there some connection between hairy armpits and math talent that I don't know about? Like Samson and his strength in his hair, we've got kids with math talent in their armpit hair? LOL!

Oh, and I guess that means girls should generally take algebra before boys then, huh?

wink

Kriston
    M
    M
    Kudos to you for suffering fools gladly. I never learned how to do it and would be a terrible advocate for my son as a result. When I got the same sort of talk from our public school (minus the astounding Doogie reference) while inquiring about early entrance to kindergarten, I decided on the spot to send my son to the private school he currently attends. Like the people on another thread who said they truly don't have what it takes to homeschool, I truly don't have what it takes to deal effectively with comments like that from a person in a position of authority. I'd inevitably lose it at some point.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Maybe this is why they say that girls on average don't score as well as boys in math in the higher grades - they shave!

OK, I actually *did* laugh out loud!

I needed that too....I just sat through a very depressing meeting in which people thought they were being very proactive and progressive but....weren't. sigh....

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    So there is an EASY way to get math acommodations then, simply give hormones to the kids!

J
    J
    ha! and what is this fuss about social needs, I really do not understand when what all the school would do is to complain and complain so you work with your child to make him fit. So what are they teaching my kid?

Originally Posted by delbows
    Lastly, she made the point that it was not necessary to be gifted in order to instruct gifted children.

Did she make this point verbally or just by her presence in the room?

I'm working on my MA in Gifted Ed and I happen to be gifted myself. Not sure if it's necessary, though it certainly helps. But in order to educate gifted children (I wouldn't use the word "instruct" myself - G/T kids don't tend to take "instruction" well), you do need to actually accept that they're different from their contemporaries. To put it another way, if gifted kids don't require accommodations like early entrance, whence the need for a GT coordinator at all?

O
    O
    What I wonder about is someone feeling comfortable they understand gifted issues without gifted training. If I were to go to a foot doctor for an eye exam it would not work out too well. I think a gifted issue should be addresses by seeking gifted experts knowledge. I'm wondering why this does not occur to someone in education?

LOL....Ok, this entire thread needs to be published in every newspaper in every city! I cannot imagine anyone reading it and not "get their eyes opened" to the dribble/foolishness we have to endure and fight through just to get the needs of our gifted kids met.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    ... but the message was still loud and clear that you can't possibly go wrong if you wait, yet by starting early you are risking the end of the world, mad .

Smile and wave....smile and wave...why is that easier said than done?
    Well.. then just wave with one finger. wink

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Well.. then just wave with one finger. wink

LOL

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM