Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #58620 10/18/09 07:20 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just got home from the movie - very well done, very disturbing, not for young children by any means. Rated PG, but emotionally very intense for my DS13.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Thanks for posting this. My parents wanted to take DS who is 6. I said "let's wait a few weeks and see what others say." I'm glad I did.

My 6 year old niece came to visit today and she had raving reviews. She thought that was "the best movie ever".

B
    B
    My DS6 and I went to see it on Saturday and he really enjoyed it. I would have to admit that this is not the "typical" kids movie - it has a deeper meaning than the regular shoot them up, adventure, mermaid/fairy cartoons that most kids are used to....this movie will actually make a person think - which is a nice change from all the fluff and stuff that most kids usually see. One person's review on the web summed it up well...."This is a story about the life of a child, which is not always easy and not always happy. It's about the emotions of that." There are no flashy scenes with tons of action/adventure/colors/fluff like what most kids are used to seeing...it really touches on life lessons. My son left stating that he really enjoyed it because it made him see that he wasn't alone when he was feeling mad or frustrated and that he liked seeing "Max" act the same way he does sometimes and that people feel all different things about the way others treat them.

Again - not a toddler movie AT all...it is rated PG so that lets you know this is not for little, little kids

N
    N
    Thanks for the review. It looks very interesting, but I think we will have to hold off for at least couple of years. My DS (almost 6) is very emotional with many movies. We have to be really very careful: DH thought we could watch PG Free Willy couple of weeks ago, and the scene where children are banging on the aquarium glass just made DS so emotional, that we had to stop the movie and he was crying for hours after that, wondering how anybody can be so insensitive.
    I am looking forward to see it my self, though.

J
    J
    My DS is the same Niki - plus on a large screen he's even more sensitive to the sounds. We are going to wait as well, even though he's asked to see it.

B
    B
    JJsMom have you heard about the AMC's Sensory Friendly Films...AMC offers a Sensory Friendly Movie once a month at participating AMC theaters where the houselights stay up and they lower the sound down to a normal level...that is the only way I can get my DS6 to a movie because the sound usually is too much for him and he doesn't like sitting in the dark...here is a link to the AMC site....this was started for Autistic children and though DS is not autistic they said it was there to help kids who can't handle the normal movie sounds/lights...the last few months that we have gone we have met many, many kids who are not autistic but who have sensory issues :-)

http://www.amctheatres.com/promos/sensory/

J
    J
    Yes, I have!!!

It amazes me that DS has this issue at a theater b/c he can crank up his own volume or the TV volume waaaaaaaaaay up at home. wink

DS6 saw it this weekend and loved it. (That being said, I think I got more out of the movie than he did. Our DS is practically Max to a "T"). This was DS's first time seeing a movie in a theater, so it was a whole new experience all around.

I saw *a lot* of younger kids at our theater. At home on the smaller screen I wouldn't have a problem letting our younger child watch it. The theater experience may still be a bit too much though.

Our kids are not overly sensitive when it comes to movies so your mileage may vary.

JB

Min Offline
    Thanks for the reviews. It sounds like one of those shows that are good, or not good, depending on a child's perception.

I think I will definitely preview it before letting my sons watch it. My sons don't find the same things scary that other kids do. They have no problem with monsters, but scary music and mean people will freak them out. ... For years we had to skip all scenes with the Dursleys in Harry Potter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM