Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    And this is the kid who is GT--but while his brain is speedy in some ways, it is firmly entrenched on its track and does not turn easily.

Good for you Nautigal! Your for your son for speaking up. I often think about the Classic Trek episode where this Alien lady wants to mate with Kirk, so she speeds him up so fast that no one can see him and only Spock can hear a little buzzing noise. Of course the Ship's Computer saves the day. I've got fast processing speed and not a lot of working memory, so sometimes I feel like that small whining sound. DH in particular is a very strong person, but once he chooses a direction, I pretty much have to let him run it's course without interference. I think of him like a powerful locomotive on a train track. I'm a race car, with the ability to change direction and perspective in split seconds. Together we make a great team, but communication is difficult. Sometimes I think that DS13's unusual giftedness comes from having parents with such different thinking styles - maybe he got both of our strengths!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I'm not sure how I figure things out sometimes (like puzzles, codes, etc.) The answer just comes to me.

I had so much trouble with pre-algebra in the 7th grade because the teacher required us to show our steps for solving equations and I had no idea how I got the answer, I only knew I was right. Even once I figured out how I was solving them it was hard because it was definitely not approved algebraic form, lol.

I did that with papers, too! I would go to the computer lab an hour before class, type out the paper and make it to class with time to spare. The only downside is that I abuse commas and that never gave me time to edit them out.

Ahhh... It feels good to find my "people" wink

I remember trying to explain a calculus problem to a classmate in high school. I think I said something like, "Well, you just take this curve and rotate it around this line and then slice it up into discs and add 'em all up. See?" He looked at me blankly. I guess he didn't "see"....

Originally Posted by Val
    It's the same for a few other of those types of puzzles, as well as cryptograms.

I had a good friend who could type his papers out like you, Cathy. Way cool.

Does anyone ever have an experience where you can just see a hidden object (say, in a Where's Waldo book)? My kids have one of these books and I picked it up one night and found every Waldo immediately. It was cool (I can't always do this at that level, but when that system is working at peak efficiency, it's great).

And here's a weird one for people who drive in heavy traffic frequently: I constantly seek patterns of traffic flow during periods of congestion. This isn't something I do consciously; it just happens. The result is that I get quite good at what I call surfing a traffic jam. I know when exactly when Lane 1 will be faster and when to get out of it and move to Lane 2 or 3 or whatever. I can tell how much better I'm moving by picking a big vehicle like a truck and seeing how far I get ahead of it (it usually disappears from view). Anyone else do that?

Yes, most definitely, I had a fun time just the other morning doing this. There was a car behind me all the way, it was pretty cool! Knowing which lane to bop into and when can be pretty fun when it all comes together (not even speeding, but everyone else is like in slow motion so it feels very freeing.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM