Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #51428 07/29/09 12:37 AM
    L
    lilglik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I have a son that tested gifted verbally.
    Please read my thread at 'need help with scores' to see all his scores. He had processing issues that brought down his overall Full Scale IQ.
    He has strabismus/vision problems and had eye surgeries and vision therapy in the past. He just turned nine and is going into a full time gifted program in 4th grade.

I just took him for extensive testing by an optometrist who specializes in vision therapy. My son's testing came back with some interesting results. The doctor tracked his eyes with a visiograph to calculate speed, jumps, missed words, eye tracking etc. My son then took a test on what he read to get a comprehension score. His scores rank him reading at 11th grade level with the speed of a 13th grade level (college!) person. His comprehension is 90%. He is having all kinds of trouble with eyes, tracking, jumping, missing words etc. The doctor told me he was very surprised at how well my son has compensated for his lack of ability to use two eyes at the same time and that it was unbelievable what he was able to do, even though he is rapidly turning one eye off and then the other, alternating between eyes as he reads. His comment was 'Imagine where he would be on the testing if he could see properly.' His processing speed was absolutely horrible on the tests, but in reading he still was phenomenal.

My question is...
    Do you think my son could actually be remarkably more gifted than what he shows, even though he is already technically gifted? I would hate to not really know how gifted he really is. I am concerned about missing the big picture due to lower overall IQ. Does anyone have any advice or ever seen or heard of anything like this?

L
    L
    I am wondering the same thing about my 11 year old son. I think my son still has vision issues, especially when he is tired, and I do think it caused his scores to be lower than they would have been if he did not have these issues. My son is homeschooled and he works for about 15 or 20 minutes and then takes a break because he gets headaches if he keeps working. He always had a problem with endurance. The neuropsychologist who tested him was aware of this but she still tested him in one session. I think she needed to see how he did without those breaks so she could diagnose his motor dyspraxia. We had difficulty getting a diagnosis in the past because his intelligence allowed him to compensate for some of his issues. I think if I want to see my son's actual ingelligence he will need to be tested over more than one session. I still don't have his full report. I was told it usually takes about 30 days to get it. I do remember she said my son's processing speed was low. I don't know if my son had a headache yet at that point but I know when I get migraines it slows me down and I have trouble thinking.

My son had vision therapy for several months when he was seven because at that time he couldn't read more than a paragraph or two without his eyes getting tired. He could read paragraphs from Time and Newsweek magazine without any trouble if he kept his finger underneath the words as he read, but skipped lines and had to really slow down his reading if he didn't. It was hard for me to believe he had a problem with vision when he had learned to read on his own at 2 1/2. I didn't think it was possible. His developmental optometrist only tested him for about 15 minutes and after several months of vision therapy he said there was nothing more he could do for him.

I think my son needs more extensive testing and I am going to try to get that done along with everything else that he is now eligible for since he finally has his diagnosis on paper.

L
    lilglik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Dottie,
    Which test are you referring to? The FSIQ was the WISC IV. The eye test was very involved (had some block designs etc similar to IQ) but the test that tracked his reading speed was the visiograph. We when we went in for the results we actually got to see the story he read, with this marker that showed his actual eye movements, tracking, speed, going backwards to relook at words, and line and word skipping. It was fascinating. He read so fast yet you could clearly watch where his eye changed from one eye to the other. You could see where he tracked from right to left, line to line. He had times he skipped almost entire lines, jumped back to look at them, got to the end of the line of text and instead of going to the beginning of the next line, he actually jumped to the END word of the following line and then looked back at the beginning to start reading it, which should REALLY slow down his speed and comprehension. He was remarkably all over the place skipping etc and yet still had 11 grade level reading with 90% comprehension. His speed was still at 13th grade level. The doctor said that the speed reflects what an adult can do - we normally do NOT read all words in the text. That is a skill you do when you are older and have better comprehension. We don't NEED to read every word at 13th grade level. However, even though he skipped like an adult he still had the comprehension which is unusual for a child of barely 9. The girl that does the vision therapy for optometrist was in the room doing something else when the doctor told us his scores. She turned and asked, 'What did you say his score was, 13th grade speed, 11th grade level?' When the doctor told her yes she was shocked. Apparently in their practice with kids with tremendous vision problems they don't get kids at that level. Vision problems normally result in LOW comprehension, LOW speed, LOW reading level. He is an extremely good compensator, just how good is he really?..that is the question.

L
    lilglik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    LORI,
    My son's eyes are red ALL the time and he has constant headaches. He reads huge books and he reads all the time which is very hard on his eyes. His eyes can't keep up and they tire within 15 minutes. He needs to wear glasses when reading. Although he has 20/20 vision, his eyes cave in when he focuses up close. So the more he reads...the more headaches. He actually only used both eyes together ONCE while being tested. Other than that he is constantly switching eyes. The glasses help relax his muscles during up close work so he can go longer without the headache.

It would be interesting to see what your son would do on the test if it was taking in segments. When the optometrist was done testing him (it took two hours), when my son looked up at me, he literally looked like he had the flu. It worked his eyes so hard he looked sick. He was physically and emotionally done. He was exhausted and really couldn't do much for the rest of the day. Which makes me wonder how the poor kid makes it through a school day with all the close up work. It may explain some of his 'quiet defiance' issue. I think he may just quit working when he can't see or function anymore.
    My son's IQ test (WISC IV) was not the best testing environment. It was done by a substitute school psychologist (very great guy), but we were at the end of a hall that comes to a circle which has 5 classrooms. The test started as school was getting ready to start. It was the last 2 days of school and it was bedlam. The teachers were yelling up and down the halls, the kids were yelling up and down the halls, the announcements went on for I think 7 minutes and I was trying to read outside the little closet room my son was in and I couldn't even concentrate it was so loud. The psychologist left the door wide open during the first half of the test. I got up and asked him if he would close it. He didn't want to, I think for the child safety concerns - no adult will be with a kid behind a closed door... for molestation type concerns. I worked in a school here and that was the rule. However, even with the noise etc for half of the test he still did pretty good, getting an overall 121 and a VCI of 130.
    I bet your kid would do even better on the test if done in short segments.

L
    lilglik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    By the way could someone please tell me what the DS etc. means in the posts? I can't figure them out...
    I am new here ;O)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM