Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 94 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    galtgrl Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Help me sort this out, please! My 2 older dd's are gifted, the younger probably more than the older. They have done the JHU-CTY searches - qualified for online classes and the younger for the summer programs/state award stuff. Is there a reason to bother w/ a true IQ test at this point? The younger is almost 12 and has always been very...different wink. Also, would it be too late for IQ testing at 12? I've noticed most kids have that done b4 age 9 or so. We hmschl, so no issues with the school district programs. Thanks for any input! I'm just trying not to miss anything (ha, yeah right!)-Jen

Welcome galtgrl,

I think that those JHU-CTY searches are pretty good for a 12, as long as there isn't any 'special issues.' It gives you a ballpark, yes they definitly are gifted, and yes the younger is unusually gifted (how many kids in her grade got the state award? that kind of shows how different she is)Check her score against's Davidson's Think Summer Institute to see if she is in the ballpark for Young Scholar's Program - that is 'very unusually smart indeed' land, although not as selective as SET, which is also SAT based.

I would say that an achievement test, like NWEA's MAP might help you see 'what they know' and 'what's a good next step to try.' Even homeschooling parents sometimes don't get the challenge level 'just right' - it's been known to happen, anyway.

If you are wondering about 'will college or future job' want an IQ score - then the answer is 'no.'

So welcome and enjoy and I'd love to hear more about
    (ha, yeah right!)-

love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    I was tested at around that age. My 2 cents are that I am very glad that I was tested, despite the fact that my scores did not affect my educational situation. I felt that knowing my LOG gave me some perspective on myself and on other people, in a very positive way. JMHO; it might be totally different for others.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    We tested for the third time at age 12 and finally got a result that is in line with what we see day to day.

J
    J
    I had my DS, almost 13 now, do WISC-IV in March in order to qualify for Davidson. He had never been tested before (outside of something at school). It worked out fine.

He had done JHU-CTY stuff before and scored at the top. I didn't feel the need for any sort of IQ testing, but that's what Davidson wanted so we went with it. I do think the results were interesting, but not necessary for us in any way.

Regards,
    Jon

G
    galtgrl Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks for the advice.. I think we'll skip the IQ testing, since they'll be taking the ACT or SAT from this point on. They don't seem to have a burning desire to know their true LOG anyway smile. I thought I read that Davidson could use the ACT or SAT scores instead of the IQ scores...true? -Jen

C
    C
    Originally Posted by galtgrl
    I thought I read that Davidson could use the ACT or SAT scores instead of the IQ scores...true? -Jen
    No, DYS requires both IQ and achievement tests. The SAT or ACT will work for the achievement test up to a certain point (must be taken above level, not as a senior in hs, for instance), but you would also need an IQ test to get in unless you apply via portfolio. I believe that the kids who get in with a portfolio also require IQ testing at a later date to confirm their eligibility, although I am not as sure on that.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs