Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    F
    F
    i have 3 kids oldest daughter is 4 1/2 my son will be 3yrs in sept. and my youngest is 8mo. old they all seem to be gifted but im not sure to what degree each child is gifted they are all 3 very different

Edit:: i wanted to add my son is my daughters oppisite he isnt shy at all and loves people and relates to them very well however he has had a lot of interaction with his older sister his down fall isnt shyness but his HUGE imagination which causes him to be afraid of many things if he hears a noise outside he will tell you its a monster comeing to get him or one time he said the noise from the dishwasher was a man in the kitchen and was terrified

Last edited by Faithhopelove19; 07/12/09 09:04 PM.
    N
    Nikki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    My 4 month old is already showing signs of being gifted as well, which gets me excited because she's only 19months younger than her sister and they'll hopefully be very close as they grow up. Do you have any suggestions/favorites regarding toys,books or activities for gifted toddlers?

N
    Nikki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Wow, my daughter says things like your son does as well! The other day she refused to go in the front room because she was scared of the "piggy" in there! She runs to me every time she hears the front door open even when I tell her it's daddy. Any noise out of the ordinary she will ask "what was THAT!" She's only seen sesame street, so it's not like she's exposed to anything scary at all. But even today we were outside and I noticed a couple hornets in the grass in the corner of our yard and mentioned to DH that I don't want Olivia walking barefoot in the grass. About 5 min. later she was mad because her shoe fell off and I told her it's okay to take them off. She said "I scared of the bees mommy" I didn't realize just how well she listens to me!

F
    F
    my oldest two are 19mo. apart when they were little they fought a lot till the younger one got old enough to play without destroying his sisters buildings and such then they got along great and now they are best friends it helps a lot!

hhhmmm... as far as activities...
    Crafts are great if your child is in to them (my oldest loves to create and is like a mini inventor)playdough, crayons, child safe scissors, all help build a childs fine motor skills early which will make it easyer for her to trace and print letters eventually

anything they can build with is fantastic mega blocks, wooden blocks exe.

we LOVE our magnadoodle it has lasted 3 1/2years and is used almost daily exspecialy in the car its mess free drawing they can do anywhere my daughter has been learning to spell on it lately

reading of course is always great if it keeps their attention and they like it!

keep them active walks parks.. or just running around the living room to music and dancing

DONT buy a ton of electronic light up flashy baby toys my kids NEVER touch them not even the baby plays with them (well except this one she plays with Sing and discover piano plays music and my 8mo. old loves it)they all just take up space

also make sure they are involved in things with other children outside the home so they do hopefully learn how to relate to others its better to learn that skill early then late!

F
    F
    lol yea i have to be carefull not to say things like "be carefull that dog might bite" because then he will be scared of dogs or whatever it is i say could be harmfull!

F
    F
    if you are interested in talking more i could always use someone nice to talk to who is dealing with the gifted/advanced stuff too i sent you my instant message screen name in your personal messages

i plan to homeschool also i myself was homeschooled for 6yrs from 3rd grade till 9th grade

N
    Nikki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Great thanks!

F
    F
    Do you find that gifted children have a harder time making friends their age?
    My DS3 tends to boss around kids his age, and gets mad at them when they don't play like he thinks they should.
    He also new his ABC's before 2, and was asking me about words and signs by 2.5. I think he picked most of that up from his big sister.
    Is your oldest the only child considered "gifted" or have you found that your other children are gifted as well?
    My DD7 is considered gifted and I am sure my DS3 is as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM