Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Many of the kids that I get in my home aren't sure how to react unless they are being yelled at. It takes some time to convince them that you can work things out without all the noise. We are big talkers, even with the littles.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Many of the kids that I get in my home aren't sure how to react unless they are being yelled at. It takes some time to convince them that you can work things out without all the noise. We are big talkers, even with the littles.

That's great! I think that it is really hard for some people not to yell when that is what they know (both kids and adults). I know everyone's temperament is different, and I really feel for those who that really struggle with this. Discussions are much more productive when voices aren't raised. I am thankful I don't have this issue. Maybe it's partly the field I am in, how I was raised, or just my overall temperament. But yelling isn't an issue for me.

I find it interesting Shari that when you take a child out of a home where they have been yelled at constantly (or not even yelled at, but just constant yelling), and you put them in an environment where that doesn't happen...how hard and confusing that is for them. Often times these kids will try to start arguments just to feel more comfortable. It makes things seem more real and it's all they know. That is wonderful that you are able to not give in and teach them other ways.

It's not as hard as you might think. They are entitled (at least in my house) to an opinion. Once they realize that someone is actually listening, they tend to let the yelling go.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Yup, that's what we do, too: talk first, decide second, then stand firm. It's open for discussion until it's decided. Then no more talk.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by oneisenough
    My question is...is my not making a big deal out of something like that basically spoiling her and not giving her boundaries? I know it was good that at least I didn't give in and buy the book, but what about talking more about the language and tone of voice she used?

What do you think?

I say great job to you and that is not being a push over. DD use to try that with me. Forever I would give her something in the cart to play with but tell her we are not buying it. And on occasion she would argue that she wanted it, but I never gave in. Most of the time I would respond once and ignore the rest. Now when we go to the store and she gets something to look at she tells me that it is just for her to look at and we are not buying it and never argues the point. So keep doing what you are doing and she should come around to acceptance in no time.

Master of None, I think your points are very, very important.

Originally Posted by shellymos
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    My parents had a rule that the loudest one was always wrong. I haven't used it, but I think there's some wisdom there...

LOL. That's pretty good. It does have some truth for sure. I went to a training in the fall and there was a similar quote that I can't quite remember. It was something like "the first one to yell is the first one to run out of options."

LOL.

DW has been working on a contract for several weeks now. She told me tonight that:

"If someone from the other side leaves happy after a negotiation, then I left something on the table. The deal is best when neither side is happy."

Has some truth to it.

Originally Posted by master of none
    But we do our best to meet her intensity with some intensity. She seems to need a model of how to manage intense emotions.

So, although I agree it's good advice to remain calm and not react to an emotional or controlling outburst, I'd caution that if you have an intense child, it may be confusing and upsetting if there is NO reaction at all. Certainly don't want to be out of control, but can't be ultra controlled either.

I'd have to agree.

Mr W is very intense some times. He can be very demanding and when he takes it into the car seat, it can be very frustrating to have him back talking and screeching while you are trying to drive.

Last weekend he was just over the top and I pulled over, turned around and glared at him, told him that I expected better of him, he was not being fair to me, and that when we arrived, he would have my undivided attention.

It worked!!!! I saw a guilty look on his face for the next 10 minutes and he was quiet until we got to the bookstore.

IMHO there is an emotional component to communicating and that can resonate with him.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM