Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Bassetlover
    Their really are not any great opportunities as far as private schools, and though she has asked me before, I do not think homeschooling will end up happening with work and all.

Right now her education sounds random rather than focused, but she wants more. I think that is a good sign.

She probably flies through her regular homework as if she was born knowing it.

Why not home school after school? Pick a subject, get the curriculum, then have her work through it. If she can handle that, then add another.

( She may be able to sneak her books into class and work on that while the rest of the class does their thing as I was able to. )

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Austin, your article is from before the 1995 re-centering. I thought the norms looked a bit "too high to be true" there! (I'm not saying the scores aren't still quite high, but I had to check it out for my own kid's scores!)

~ Dottie, who really wishes they'd do more studies with the current test, including some on 9 year olds, whistle .

Thanks. What did the recentering do and what was the effect?

Originally Posted by Dottie
    The norms are MUCH higher than those for our state test (11th grade) for example, but I would still be more impressed with a 90th percentile on the SAT then than now, frown .

For scoring, the math changed less dramatically than the verbal.

Did they renorm the ACT, GRE, GMAT and the PSAT as well?

That's a big change on the SAT, especially at the higher end. I took the SAT twice before renorming but my scores did not change much. I would have 800s today. Sort of puts things in perspective when I hear about perfect SATs today.

L
    L
    I know that the GRE has changed in the last year (similar changes as the SAT) and that the MCAT changed dramatically. I wonder if those changes were to raise scores as well...

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I was just wondering, what does the CogAT composite score mean? Our school also gave us that, but it is not the average of the 3. It seems really high for a composite.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Okay, so you think a composite of 145 would be accurate for the scores I listed at the beginning? What can this be used for? Do you think it might correlate to something?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I guess I understand it, thanks!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    She's feeling really discouraged about the whole thing, because these people she is scoring way above now beat her into the program up until 5th grade, when they let her in. (apparently it was super fun in elementary school and now its fun, but not incredible) She really feels like she missed out. Based on the 660 SAT, do you think skipping Algebra I would be appropriate? She also took an online Texas state released EOC Algebra I test from 2002. She almost got a perfect score. (silly mistakes on the 2 she missed). That can be accessed on something like ritter.tea.org, but you should definitely google it if you want to find it cause if went on forever. Scroll to the near bottom of the page, past the TAKS tests. Do you think this score should be counted reliable?

Last edited by Bassetlover; 04/06/09 03:38 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I think I figured out the problem shes been having!! I believe I posted once about her eyesight being horrible (off the charts bad). She revealed to me once that she was unable to see for a long time and was too scared to tell me. I got a report that she broke down crying when she couldn't read the "E" at the school test in 2nd grade. I was thinking- what if that could have been the problem! Can not being able to see cause a problem like low scores? She had horrible double vision so I imagine reading must have been horrible for her, plus, I believe some of the years had manipulatives that measured there "Puzzle abilities." Only in 5th grade did she not have extreme growth between eye exams- and thats the time her scores started to perk up!!!!! I know this is a long shot, but it always could be the answer.

L
    L
    My just turned 9 year old son has eye issues too. I was told by the psychologist and the optometrist who specializes in vision therapy that his scores were way low (overall 121 IQ) even though he tested verbally gifted due to processing speed. He has such a slow processing speed due to his eye problems, that it brought down his overall IQ. Even with these problems he just tested at 11th grade reading level, 13th grade reading speed, with a 90% comprehension (on vision testing)!. I too am wondering where exactly he would test if he could actually use both eyes at the same time. He turns one off and then the other very rapidly while reading etc., to avoid double vision, since his brain can't fuse the two images together. He has had surgery 2 times and had previously gone to vision therapy.
    I definitely think you are going along the correct path when wondering if her eyes were the problem. I whole heartedly say YES!
    You can read about my son under 'need help with scores' and 'trouble following directions'.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM