I have a 7th grade daughter who recently took the SAT and got a 1920 (660 in math, 650 in writing, 610 in reading), which I saw was in the 90% among high school students, and in the 98+% among 95% 7th graders. Now, the dilemma comes in when I realize that my child was denied access into the gifted program 4 times in her middle school years. She became very discouraged, and only the prodding from her teachers to keep trying (because they disagreed with the results) made her try again, in the year when she was finally accepted. She always got 99% on 1 year above level reading and math tests that were used for admissions, but always fell short on the nonverbal tests. A couple of weeks ago, we got cogat results from this year. She got 149 on quantitative, 140 on verbal, and 121 on nonverbal, the highest she had ever gotten on that section. Besides the nonverbal, those seem like "gifted" scores. But, the fact remains that it took 5 years of easy elementary school curriculum to be atmitted into a program that still is not very hard. What's your take on this? And what do you think about the nonverbal? Do you think her IQ would be lower because of the nonverbal weakness?

Last edited by Bassetlover; 04/03/09 02:35 PM.