Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Today, I sat with Boo and did a very short math assessment. (I'm debating purchasing a math program or keeping on the way I have been - winging it.) It was a simple assessment, and I read it to her. I presented it as a "race". I read the question and she has to answer as fast as possible. She missed one question and had a processing speed of over 200%. I am sure that part of that was because I read the questions quickly to her, but I don't think it can account entirely for the speed. She'd answer before I was done reading most of the questions. I noticed that the question she missed was one that she stopped to think about. When she answered without hesitation she didn't miss any. I wonder if this is significant. What do others here think about this and are there resource on this topic that someone could point me to?

Also, on the "drawing a person" thread, I wondered if there was a significance that Boo used to draw very well "advanced" for her age and then entered preschool and dropped back down to random scribbling - something she had never really done before her preschool experience. Now she is back to where she was before she went to preschool re: her drawing ability, but not as advanced as she was prior to that. Someone told me once that it was because she didn't really *know* how to draw that way and was just copying me. Anyone who knows me knows that I can't even draw stick figures; so that last part doesn't hold much water re: Boo copying me. Nor did I ever "teach" her to draw (e.g. show her how to draw perspective and add dimension to a drawing). So, does anyone know? Is this "regression" in drawing typical for GT kids and/or ND kids? Or given the fact that she started to hide most of her other abilities, while in preschool, is this just another indicator of her "going underground"?

TIA,

MM

T
    T
    Hi MM,
    Well I do have a kinda similar story. Very early I forget exactly how early my DS would draw faces w/eyes nose mouth, I remember a friend who had a DD same age being amazed at this. Anyway, my DS6 now, is the WORST drawer still drawing stick figures, hates hates hates to draw. Now, the other DD is an AMAZING drawer NOW. So it is interesting.
    My DS6 therapist says it is not his thing, and he doesn't like maybe because he can't do it perfect.
    So yeah it was odd my DS drew w/detail very early and now years later still draws stick figures.

My DS6 was the same way. He drew very early and well. When he started pre-k and there were rules attached ie "stay in the lines" draw an elephant" etc, his drawing regressed.

Now, when he draws for his own pleasure his drawings are very good for his age, but on school "art" stuff he does what he has to to get by.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Tracey and Shari! Your responses are very helpful re: drawing. I think part of it's a perfectionist issue and another is the "rules" thing. Once rules are attached or it becomes obligatory in any way, she pulls back. Although, I understand that is actually pretty age appropriate - balking when something changes from "just for fun" to requirement. Then again she's never been required to draw *any* thing.

I am still curious about the math thing, though.

T
    T
    I think the perfectionism thing is also why my DS6 hates to write in general. He can't do it perfect. How long though can he keep drawing stick figures!!!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs