Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    inky #67926 02/02/10 01:56 PM
    I
    I
    Found this today and thought of gifted students who are outside the norm. Wish they gave more info than just this little teaser. wink

http://community.nwea.org/node/228

The growth estimates within our latest norming study provide great information about how to evaluate groups of students, provided those students are comparable to the students within the norming study. When we wish to evaluate students whom we believe are quite different from our norming group, then we need to employ other methods. But that�s another story�

inky #67929 02/02/10 02:10 PM
    B
    B
    Inky- thank you! this link was exactly what I am looking for! I called the NWEA yesterday and all they told me was the teacher could tell me the level that my child was capable of. Not quite the answer I was looking for, since I am trying to push them for harder work for my son!

Thanks again!!
    Brandy

BellaGP #89515 11/12/10 03:19 PM
    M
    M
    Just looking into the MAP scores and found this post. Just came home from my son's 3rd grade conference. He scored a 222 on his MAP-R in October, is above grade level in math and reading by 1-2 grades(since K)and has tested 99% on every category on 2nd grade standardized tests. He also scored high in Inview Analogies, Quant Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning. He is otherwise a socially normal kid. He has unique interests, is very intellectual and is considered very bright. We think he should go to the gifted center. He gets bored in the regular class. His teachers are not so sure, based on him being well rounded. What to do?

marti #89587 11/14/10 07:31 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by marti
    We think he should go to the gifted center. He gets bored in the regular class. His teachers are not so sure, based on him being well rounded. What to do?
    Why would being well rounded be a reason not to go to the gifted center? Did the teachers explain this more? If he's bored in the regular class it seems worth trying out the gifted center. Here's a link to an article called "What a Child Doesn't Learn..." by Tracy Ingram. It may help you decide.
    http://www.portage.k12.in.us/160720...597/pdfs/April/Whatachilddoesntlearn.pdf

BellaGP #89871 11/19/10 07:55 AM
    C
    C
    Throwing this in here for our MAP expert- Inky help!

Just had DS's conference yesterday and I was disappointed his math and language usage scores have gone down a couple of points. They blamed this on summer... though the kids had been in school 8 weeks when they took the test so that was a little frustrating!

One thing the teacher said was that the MAP test they use is capped at 230? He's in 3rd grade and it's not P-MAP. Is this something the school did or does that make sense normally? She also said the test is totally different from 2nd to 3rd so you can't compare scores. However, I know they didn't take P-MAP last year, they took the regular one (the one you read yourself). Does she have a clue what she's talking about?

I'm wondering how DS would ever make his growth goal of 10 points this year with a cap of 230 because his reading score was 222.

CAMom #89889 11/19/10 12:05 PM
    I
    I
    I wouldn't worry too much about the fall scores being a couple points lower than last spring. If his winter scores also come back lower I'd talk to the teacher about making a plan for him to reach his growth goal by spring.

I haven't heard of a 230 cap and it seems like that would defeat the purpose of high performing students taking the test if it's capped like that. Maybe she meant the school just caps the maximum growth goal for a 3rd grader at 230?

It also seems odd that she's saying you can't compare scores between 2nd and 3rd grade since that's the whole point of the RIT scale. Bottom line, I'm skeptical about her information. crazy

BellaGP #89896 11/19/10 02:50 PM
    C
    C
    Thank you! I'm not too worried about his score going down. But her attitude about it going down worried me! She was very flippant about it and didn't even know it had gone down because she never looked at last year's scores.

I don't understand the cap so I'm going to ask her about it. She said his growth goal was 10 pts by spring. But if he can't make his goal due to the cap, I don't really get it!

I appreciate your help- so sad that you know more than the teacher who is supposed to use this to design her entire curriculum!

CAMom #89899 11/19/10 04:58 PM
    I
    I
    Some of that flippant attitude may stem from teachers' frustration with NCLB and the emphasis on multiple choice testing. I'm learning to preface any MAP discussions at school with "I know this is just one test and like a snapshot it doesn't capture the complete picture." Acknowledging that from the start has helped me have more productive conversations with the teachers about MAP and how the results fit with the rest of what they're seeing in class. It's good if you can get on the same page about the growth goal but of course there is so much more that should go into the curriculum than can be captured with MAP. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

BellaGP #89911 11/19/10 08:36 PM
    C
    C
    Inky- this is a Charter that willingly chooses to use MAP. It's not our state standardized testing or related to NCLB. They tout it as their very special way of knowing the exact "just right" level for each student. They pay for it and they are in theory, reviewing the scores and designing curriculum for the classroom based on scores 3x a year.

CAMom #89912 11/19/10 09:55 PM
    I
    I
    Ooohhhh, now I understand your expectation that the teacher would be on top of this. shocked

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM