Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Thanks Dottie! I think I have one of those on my wish list which is steadily getting longer when I'm supposed to be cutting back.

Here's the one I was looking at for DS. What do you think of these? Moem's book I was looking at the 2nd book, Math Olympiad Contest Problems for Elementary and Middle Schools by Dr. G. Lenchner.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    All right, I ordered Singapore workbook 3A and the Zaccaro book. I hesitated about the book until I thought, duh, dd is about to be the eldest of 6 kids, and one of her brothers who is currently K is fast on her heels in math. So hopefully they'll all be able to use it.

I swear I've seen the Brainquest stuff at a store - is that possible? Like Lakeshore Learning or US Toy or something.

I too would like the link about mathcounts - all I found was something about a national competition for middle school (and we'd have a long way to go before she's ready for that lol)

thanks again smile

S
    S
    Question to all those who buys these workbooks. My son loved doing a math workbook we have at home...but hasn't been doing it much lately. Frankly after getting his testing results I am assuming it isn't all that interesting to him. So how do I know what to get him? Like how do I know what level he is at? He is into multiplication, word problems, coding, division, some fractions. I just haven't taught him anything...so not sure what else. His evaluator suggested I expose him to more math since he is so into it and picks it up really fast.

Zaccaro is mixed level. They have 4 levels for each chapter. You can also choose whatever topic he may be interested in. In most of the cases the order doesn't really matter.

LMom
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I like the Zaccaro levels. So far, dd prefers the singapore workbook I got her - I think she just likes workbook format. But anyway, singapore math has brief placement tests on its website that make it relatively easy to figure out where your child fits in terms of levels. I couldn't really get dd to do the test but knowing what she's been up to lately made it easy. Still, as with all other subjects, it seems she's ahead in parts and behind (well, not behind but not as exposed or as advanced) in other parts (e.g. she didn't know much about metric measurement because she's only now seeing that in school, but I got the workbook that goes with her level of multiplication/division. So I guess you could say she has a few little gaps though they're not a big deal).

H
    H
    As a teacher, I like Luminous Learning workbooks. The math problems are well-organized and easy to understand. The parents of my students give them great reviews, as well. They cover all the major topics (fractions, time and money, patterns, geometry, graphs, etc.). You can buy them online: http://luminouslearning.weebly.com/summer-math-boosters.html

A
    A
    My dd is just 5, but she really likes the flashkids workbooks...they are pretty quick to get through and teach overall concepts rather than a lot of drill. We are focussing more on high level concepts and having fun rather than practicing drills as I am guessing she will get enough of that in school (she will be in kinder this year and is teaching herself basic multiplication right now). They have gifted math books too that are pretty good.
    ETA We also have the singapore math books, but have avoided doing them as they use the same program in her school next year.

Last edited by alicat; 06/24/13 10:07 AM.
    If you're looking at a third grade suppliment I just kept hearing about Beast Academy until I went ahead and bought it. They only have the third grade series and it's too new to buy used. My kid's starting Singapore 1a. I got these "for later", but he's already started reading them some because they're super cute. I just opened to tell you what's in it.
    In the comic book for 3a is a conversation.
    "The four corners of my math book are all right angles."
    "All four corners of this panel are right angles."
    "I'm right!"
    "Good. Does anyone know an angle like this that is smaller than a right angle?"
    "That's a cute angle."
    "Very good, Winnie! Angles that are smaller than right angles are called acute angles. Can anyone guess what we call an angle that is larger than a right angle?"
    "Uncute angles?"
    "Wide angles?"
    "Obese angles?"...
    It goes on. At the bottom of that page is a monster sitting inside a wide open angle with a little speech bubble saying, "I'm obtuse." lmao
    From what I've read on the Well Trained Mind board Beast Academy is best just left to the kids because it by AOPS and it's meant to make you work a little at thinking to come up with the answer. I told my kid these books are for after he finishes Singapore 3, but didn't leave them put up out of his reach either.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM