Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 447 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #40343 03/05/09 08:09 PM
    Ruby Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this. DD's school sent me a letter saying my daughter had been tested on MAP assessment through NWEA Map assessment. She was tested in the fall and again last month.

The school did sit down with us in the fall to tell us that dd7 tested somewhere between 5th-7th grade. She was already in the 4th grade math, 2nd grade regular class. Despite the test results, they felt 4th was still the right place for her (we disagreed, but nothing changed).

So now they sent us results from last month's test, but I really don't know what to make of them. My concern is that she continues to show growth with her math. She's not getting it at school, but she uses ALEKS a few times a week.

Here is the the information on the report they sent us:

Fall08 score: 228, Norm group: 180
    Winter09 score: 232, Norm group: 186

Notice the norm group has gone up 6 points since fall, but dd score has only gone up 4. Should I be concerned that she hasn't show enough growth?

My DD6 takes the same test at her school and when it was explained to us in Feb. We were told not to worry about the seemingly lack of improvement because her scores only went up 3 or 4 points too because that was still a good deal of improvement. So, I'm not sure what to tell you. I would suggest that you ask her school how these compare to other standardized tests they use in the state. We were told how DD's scores compared to proficiency levels for the CSAP (the Colorado state testing required for no child left behind). And that helped make the numbers mean more (at least a bit more.)

Ruby Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Kerry, for your reply. That's a good suggestion. I'll have to ask the school. I just wish they send more information when they send the results!

Mia Offline
    From what I understand, Ruby, slower growth is expected once you get into the higher levels. I'm certainly no expert, though!

Mia
    I
    I
    Ruby,
    I've been following my DD's MAP scores and growth using the Norm data. Using above level data has helped me determine her growth.

For example, I've tracked her reading scores for grade level, +1 grade level, +2 grade level and +3 grade level. I've seen she's moving up the percentiles for the above grade level math and reading and it helps me feel confident she's growing.

Here is the link for the Norms data. If you go to page 142-143, there is Mid School Year Math conversions. Your DD's score put her at 99% for 2nd grade, 99% for 3rd grade, 94% for 4th grade and 78% for 5th grade.

Do you have her past MAP scores so you can see if she's been steadily moving up the above grade level percentiles? Hope this helps.

http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...ssionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3

P.S. If you don't have past scores, you may want to ask for her Student Progress Report.

Last edited by inky; 03/06/09 12:38 PM.
    Remember that it's one test on one day. The NWEA is designed to continue as long as the child can. At some point, kids get tired. If they didn't increase her beginning level when she started the test, she'd have had to travel through all the material she'd previously covered just to get to the new stuff.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Ruby Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Inky, that was just the kind of information I was looking for! I took a look at her percentiles for grades 4, 5 & 6 from fall to winter and the percentiles stayed pretty much the same. So at least I know she isn't losing ground, despite learning no math in school.

And Mia, you are right! There does seem to be a smaller growth at the upper ends than at the lower ends.

I just want to say that I love this board! The district 'expert' at the school that I contacted with my question, gave me no useful information. And another said "She scored so high, why worry?" But here I know I can find help from people who are in the same boat and just trying to make sure their child is learning and growing no matter what the level.

Thanks!
    Ruby

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader