Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #38815 02/22/09 05:49 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all! In addition to being a parent, I am also a teacher (first grade). I have an interesting situation this year w/a VERY gifted student and wondered what advice you'd give to parents.

This child (6 w/a late summer bday) stood out from the beginning of the year as being very advanced. He is several grade levels above in reading but REALLY stood out in math, where it was quite hard to pinpoint where he actually was b/c our 1st grade testing doesn't go that high. I encouraged parents to have him tested for our gifted program (they use the CoGat), but they hesitated b/c they weren't sure how it would change things for him in the school. I offered to look at moving him up a grade for math but, again, they weren't interested b/c they felt like he would feel awkward. He is a VERY easygoing child who gets along well with all kids and never, ever complains. He tells his parents that he loves school and is happy. I have been on a mission to do something for him, though, b/c it is obvious to me that he is exceptional. So, at PT conferences I really, really encouraged the parents to have him tested for our gifted program. I think they may think I'm pushy but they said yes.

Our GT coordinator did test him and found out that not only was he 99% in math on the CoGat but his math achievement data show him working at a 9th grade level in math!

What advice would you all, who have been down this road, give to parents? We just got the results back. I have already told them (b/c I know how lacking groups ability tests can be) that I would recommend that they have him privately tested (they can afford it). Besides giving them info about DYS, is there anything else I could suggest to them? I think that they know he is smart, but I don't know that they realize yet how much they will have to advocate for him in his school career. Thanks!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    The achievement test was the Woodcock Johnson. I haven't seen the scores, just read the results in an e-mail that the (very shocked) gifted coordinator sent me. I think you are right that I need to let them make a decision, but I also am wondering what kind of choices they even have. It will be interesting to see what our district offers them. We will be meeting with the gifted coordinator for our district to discuss options b/c they are very limited within our school.

I think they're VERY lucky to have a teacher like you! Everything you've done so far is so wonderful! Pat yourself on the back, will you? The world needs more teachers like you. laugh

I agree that you should let them process. But do check in with them, see if they have questions or want to talk about it, make sure they're not buying into myths about acceleration, etc. I think you have to be a "guide on the side" rather than a "sage on the stage" for this one. But I suspect they will want that guidance at some point!

Kriston
    What I would appreciate as a parent, is for you to keep me informed of all his options and for you to say, "ANYTHING you need of me for recommendations or educational opportunities, let me know". Then back off a while. Keep in touch to let them know how he is doing and remind them ocassionaly that you are available to be a sounding board or for recommendations.

That's my opinion, and could be influenced by what I think is my GS9's counselor overstepping boundaries.

I agree, OHG. Being present and available but not pushy is best, I think.

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    These are very good ideas. The parents have told me repeatedly that they do appreciate all I have done for him this year. I just think they are a little in GT denial--they say things like, "yes he is smart, but we just want him to be happy" and "we know he is smart, but there are a lot of smart kids in the class" Well, we have one other child ID'd GT and he is MG, like 95%. They volunteer about once a week in the class during math time so they know the reality. But they are always so positive and complimentary of all the kids in the class.

I will be very curious to see what his options are.

I never make him do the regular class math--I always create extensions for him but they still do not reach his level and he breezes through everything I give him. What he needs is an entirely different curriculum. He does play the math games with the other kids and really enjoys them, even though he's not "learning" anything new, just as we might enjoy playing a mindless game like "Crazy Eights." I guess I worry how long he is going to remain happy when there is never any challenge for him.

His mom told me he was loving the testing--probably b/c it's the first time this year he's done something really hard!

And I would never post the real scores b/c I know they could end up here. When I get them maybe I can PM you Dottie and see what you think. Thanks for your advice.

C
    C
    My DS is going into 1st grade next year and I would pay seriously large volumes of cash to have him in your class! You sound like an amazing person and a fabulous teacher!

As a teacher myself, I would continue to find ways to stretch my curriculum to include him. I know 1st grade is tough. Do you have a computer in the classroom? Could he work independently on computer software for math in particular? Also- as for games, perhaps you can up the ante for all the kids and introduce more strategy games like chess, battleship or even Parcheesi.

As a parent, I'd want you to really understand how we are struggling with the balance between feeling challenged and happiness. Our biggest concern on a daily basis is that balance. If they're not ready to "push" him and he's not really looking for it or acting out, it might be okay to just give them the space they need.

I'd recommend a few books for you- Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom by Susan Winebrenner and A Love for Learning: Motivation and the Gifted Child by Carol Strip Whitney; Ph.D are two that might really help you out!

Hi Mom2boys,
    I agree - you've done really well. Also, the '9th grade level' on the achievement test can be really misleading...my best understanding (Dottie, please correct me if I'm wrong) is: He did as well as a 9th grader would be expected to do if being given a test designed for 1st graders.

I think that your primary responsibility lies inside the working within the classroom with the Gifted Coordinator. In other words... come up with some ideas, and then get the GC to agree and work with the parents to get them to agree.

What do I think you should work on with the GC to propose? I think 'end of year' assesments of each grade level in Math and Language arts to see if there is a way to send him to a grade level Math class where he will learn. Alternative is to do an online self paced Math curriculum. For LA I would ask the parents what his 'special interests' are, and encourage him to write about those special interests and report back to an appropriate audience. If he loves Science, and you have the time, perhaps gather a multi-grade group of kids together to do a science fair project. If abstract thinking is his thing, then 'Odesey of the Mind' or similar type of program. I reccomend the book 'Re-forming Gifted Education' for a look at the extracurricular suggestions. Perhaps he would like to compete in a Spelling or Geography Bee. I think that Independent Study inside your classroom is something that no parent could object to.

Actually you could invite them here. You can change your nickname if needed.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Brainstorm:
    Since the parents are in the classroom every week already, can you get them to work with a group of you 'best students' while their son is doing something else? Let them try to teach a bit, and there is a chance that that will thaw their denial a bit.

Do BOTH parents volunteer in the classroom? That would be unusual in my son's school, and I'll bet it isn't the norm where you live either. If so I'll take a wild guess and say that they probably believe, as I once did, that their son is doing so well academically because they are such involved and loving parents. ((shrug))

Another idea is to have a meeting with the parents to learn from them what the tester suggests for school modifications. Letting them tell you might be just the thing.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Hi Mom2boys,
    I agree - you've done really well. Also, the '9th grade level' on the achievement test can be really misleading...my best understanding (Dottie, please correct me if I'm wrong) is: He did as well as a 9th grader would be expected to do if being given a test designed for 1st graders.

I thought the Woodcock Johnson tested actual grade level achievement? Does it use stanines? Which tests will test actual levels? Is the only option out-of-level testing?

Thanks,
    Kate

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM