Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Austin #38284 02/17/09 06:59 AM
    Good suggestion, Austin. Neal Stephenson is DH's current favorite author.

LMom
    LMom #38313 02/17/09 09:50 AM
    Originally Posted by LMom
    Good suggestion, Austin. Neal Stephenson is DH's current favorite author.

I really like his works. His Baroque Cycle has several hidden messages encoded in the text. His writing is often hilarious!

Some of his circumstantial history and historical figure characterization is wrong so the sketches must be taken with a grain of salt. OTOH he gets many, many things right. ( I feel sorry for the parent whose pre-school child searches maps for Qwghlm as I once looked for "New England" )

His "The Diamond Age" is very accessible for kids due to Nell and the Mouse Army. If they can read "A Wrinkle in Time," then TDA will be a good next step.

Another good book is "The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven and Pournelle.

Austin #38319 02/17/09 11:28 AM
    I
    I
    Life of Pi is my newest favorite. The main character is a child (16yo) but deals with incredible challenges. It's reminds me of an imaginative cross between Robinson Crusoe, Moby Dick and Lord of the Flies.

#38326 02/17/09 03:19 PM
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Just one caution on Diamond Age - it does have some weirdness (IMHO) - the strand with the Drummers. That bit might be worth a pre-read, but it is so far in that it would be hard to get to without reading the whole book.

I was just thinking about that. Thanks. There are a couple of sections in the each of the Baroque Cycle books as well.

Austin #38368 02/17/09 07:18 PM
    K
    K
    Maybe some nonfiction, like The Cuckoo's Egg. A hacker breaks into a top-secret computer, and the hero tracks him down. It's been years since I've read it. I don't rememeber anything inappropriate, but you might want to read it first just in case.

keet #38407 02/18/09 07:27 AM
    L
    L
    I thought of another:

The Seems - it is a very clever SciFi.

Twelve-year-old Becker Drane has definitely got the coolest job of any seventh grader in Highland Park, New Jersey. He works as a Fixer for The Seems. From the Department of Weather to the Department of Sleep, The Seems is a secret organization that makes sure our world keeps running�and more importantly, sticks to The Plan that�s been made for it. But The Plan, and The Seems for that matter, would be nothing without the people in it, and that�s where Becker Drane comes in. When a Glitch is reported in the Department of Sleep, Becker is dispatched to Fix it, but he�s not so sure this is a routine mission. Could the Bed Bugs, who are behind our Worst Nightmares, be responsible for the problems? Or maybe it�s The Tide, an underground organization bent on destroying The Seems? No matter what, Becker�s in for quite an adventure, and it�ll take all his training, a little luck, and the coolest Tools� known in (or out of) the Seems to Fix the problem.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM