Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    My DS and I both can say it backwards. I learned it as a child from my mom, he just knew it!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Nope! Sometimes I can barely say it forewards!

LOL! And sometimes I have felt like all I did all day was say the alphabet (forward). eek I'm glad those days are over!

Kriston
    M
    M
    Well, my favourite (music geek) thing like this to do is to sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," but starting the words two notes before the right spot (it starts out mi-re-do-DO-la-sol-mi-sol-re--and the words normally come in at the first do--but start the words from the initial mi instead). So the accents of the words and the music are out of synch all through the whole song, all the cadences are in bizarre places, and the words of the song end two notes before the tune does. It's a great way to drive the people around you nuts, should you happen to want to do that!

peace
    minnie

sfb Offline
    Heh - I don't post very often, but i HAD to write to this one. I have never heard of anyone else who wrote backward! I'm so excited to hear of others who do it! Don't know about reasons, but i always thought mine was pretty lame... you know how lefties, when they write, get ink on their hands? I had a ton of friends who were lefties, but never really got the hang of writing with my left hand (and i tried!), so i decided the next best option was to write backward with my right hand and i'd accomplish the same thing!

I was little... it seemed logical. Plus, it was a great way to escape boredom in class by taking all my notes in class backward. that's so funny. People always look at me like i'm a freak. I'm SO happy to hear of others who do this!

oh, and the first thing i thought of when i read the thread title, was the There Might be Giants song too. I love their Here come the ABC's music, but i especially love the Alphabet of Nations (West Xylophone!), and the ZYX songs.

Anyway, thanks for a laugh, and for making me feel normal. smile

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Ruby
    I'm a very visual person and I "see" the alphabet in my head so saying backwards is pretty easy for me.

I didn't think I'd be able to do this, but surprised myself --- I started seeing the letters, and I read them out of my mind. I didn't see the whole alphabet, though. They popped up one at a time or in small groups after I started.

I can't write backwards, but I can read upside down as easily or nearly as easily as I can when reading something that's right-side-up.

This is kind of odd: I even have trouble distinguishing upside-down from right-side-up at times. Not usually with letters, but with some designs. This doesn't happen because I can't tell what something is---it happens because I see it for exactly what it is, regardless of orientation.

Val

M
    M
    Originally Posted by sfb
    Heh - I don't post very often, but i HAD to write to this one. I have never heard of anyone else who wrote backward! I'm so excited to hear of others who do it! Don't know about reasons, but i always thought mine was pretty lame... you know how lefties, when they write, get ink on their hands? I had a ton of friends who were lefties, but never really got the hang of writing with my left hand (and i tried!), so i decided the next best option was to write backward with my right hand and i'd accomplish the same thing!

I was little... it seemed logical. Plus, it was a great way to escape boredom in class by taking all my notes in class backward. that's so funny. People always look at me like i'm a freak. I'm SO happy to hear of others who do this!

oh, and the first thing i thought of when i read the thread title, was the There Might be Giants song too. I love their Here come the ABC's music, but i especially love the Alphabet of Nations (West Xylophone!), and the ZYX songs.

Anyway, thanks for a laugh, and for making me feel normal. smile

I, too, love the Alphabet of Nations! My younger sis turned us on to TMBG's when my son was born. Fabulous music that I often hum to even without the kids in the car...

BTW - I write backwards -and- I am a lefty... Is this something natural to lefties??? Just curious... I once knew someone in college who could write backwards and upside down (I never could get the hang of that)!

M
    M
    I taught myself the alphabet backwards in kindergarten. I was bored and it was posted around the room, so it seemed like the thing to do. It always surprised me as I got older that everyone didn't know it. Guess my geekiness started early. :-)

Now that I have kids, whenever we sing the alphabet, it's A-Z then Z-A.

DD9 used to write backwards but grew out of it. She was doing it on purpose because she thought it was neat.

I can read upside down too. It used to come in handy for story-time at school when I volunteered in the library.

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Ruby
    I'm a very visual person and I "see" the alphabet in my head so saying backwards is pretty easy for me. I can also spell words backwards easily too, but only if I know how to spell them forwards and that's the rough part for me because I'm a horrible speller! My husband and I had a conversation about this recently because he's a good speller but doesn't see the letters so it takes him longer to spell a word backwards. He spells them forward and then reverses the order. He's very auditory.

Oh, and Katelyn'sMom, I laughed at your post! My family once had a competition to see who could write the best with their toes, so we all plunked ourselves on the floor and whipped off our socks. We also once measured our heads at a party to see who had the biggest head. We're kind of a competitive family, and probably a bit strange too smile

Ruby, you are just like my DH and I am like your DH. That's why I posted this. DH had a rare night of insomnia so, after counting herds of sheep, he pictured the alphabet and said it backwards right away. He has an incredible visual memory /mind. He is a terrible speller. He is also right handed but goofy foot(ed).

Our family has measured our heads, wing spans, sitting heights... you name it and we've created some kind of index for it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM