Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    We are in the beginning stages for DD. She clearly has memorized alot of words and has known her ABCs and the sounds they make since before she was 18 mths. I have tried phonics with her but she acts like she isn't interested but when she sees a large word in front of her (and she knows what the word is) she sounds it out and then tells me the word such as alligator. Is she really using phonics? I don't think so but rather playing a game but maybe through the game she is picking up on some of the phonic techniques. At this point it really doesn't matter. I am sure she will take her own path to reading and for the most part it is memorization but I think Mia is right. Smaller words lead to recognition of bigger words and when she gets to a big word she just might have to sound it out. But I think this thread has a great thesis in it.

My 2 younger girls had different approaches to reading. The 5 year old who was reading before 2 understood phonics at 18 months, she was sitting at the kitchen table and just blurted out "Mommy, mommy begins with the letter M mmmmmmmmm. After that she started pointing out words reading street signs I finally put a book in front of her and she read 65 pages her first sitting. At 5 whe was tested at a 5th grade reading level. My other daughter started reading at 3 the same book, she read 35 pages her first sitting, now at 4 she is just starting to understand phonics with has expanded her reading greatly. She has not been tested but I would guess her at a 1st grade level based on the books she can read. So I think phonics lets the child expand their reading abilities, but they might still use whole reading while using phonics for the unfamilar words.

C
    C
    Understanding phonics was a huge help to me when I began studying foreign languages in middle school. I actually majored in foreign languages in college and speak one besides English fluently, as well as conversational in another language and I can easily read two others. It also helped me as a teacher of kids whom English is a second language.

My DS is a primarily Leapfrog-taught phonetic reader. It took him longer to read fluently than those who we know who are sight word readers. However, from what I've seen, he is able to tackle new harder words much more effectively than those who are sight readers. I don't think it really matters much in the long run- sight readers memorize new words very quickly!

Chris and SPG- if you've never studied language that is from a different base than your first (like English is primarily latin-based), diagramming sentences is a very very useful skill! Sometimes you have to know which is the direct object and indirect object to conjugate the proper case. Most high school students in the US can't do that today! (Seriously revealing my language geekiness here!)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM