Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I would not pay to have the WISC administered to my child at 4. Sounds like the SB is a good plan. I understand about trusting the expert, but you are the parent AND the pocketbook, you have the final say about if and when you will allow you child to sit for a test/assessment.

Good luck!

S
    S
    Thanks for your comments. I will definitely discuss with her. I could have misunderstood that part, but I clearly remember her saying that the WPPSI wouldn't be accurate because he would most likely hit the ceiling on it. I really didn't know much about it, but did trust her opinion as she is very knowledgeable in working with and testing gifted children. She wanted a comprehensive assessment and stated that she wanted to do it as a package...the SB-V, Bender gestalt, torrance creativity and I thought she said the Wisc. I will ask her about it again next time we talk. I kind of would like to just do the SB-v for now and do the others later. I suppose I could do the other two, but I don't know much about them either. I looked into them a little but not too much. Does anyone know much about either of the other ones?

S
    S
    okay, I feel kind of dumb (but it would not be the first time). I looked back through my email and she recommended the SB-V and the WIAT, which according to Hoagies is 4-19. She said the WISC was for 6+, and had said that she would not bother with the WPPSI. Oops. I looked briefly at what they look at on the WIAT and it looks like it is totally up his ally. He would probably really enjoy taking it for fun.

Yes, that sounds like a very good plan! Here's to some good testing days. You should be able to get some good information that may shed some light on future educational planning.

S
    S
    Thanks, I feel much better about the tests now. I do wonder how he will do. She seems to understand the challenges of testing a child that day and said she would break it up into different days/times if needed as she doesn't want to overwhelm him. I do wonder if he will just randomly say "I don't feel like doing this" But he generally is compliant. I do think he will think it is fun and enjoy it, but like I said with a 4yo you just never know. She did meet him once in November. She called me to have him come in just to talk with me and to meet him. I thought that was pretty cool. She didn't even charge us for it, just wanted to meet him and talk to him a little. I was very surprised by that. Anyhow, thanks again...I appreciate the help and guidance.

Sounds like a very nice tester. My DS5 took the SB-V when he was 4.1, and he thought it was really fun. I would take the psychologist up on the offer to do the testing on different days, though, especially if your son hasn't had testing before. The SB-V can vary quite a bit in length. If I remember correctly, it took DS about 1.5 hours? But other kids have taken longer.

My DS6 took the SB-V at age 4 years and 9 months. He did it in one sitting over 1.5-2hours. The tester made him take a quick snack/water break at the halfway point. My son really enjoyed theh testing process. It was a long day, especially with an almost 2 hour drive, but well worth it.

The acheivement testing was more of a struggle (WJ-III). He took that at 5 years 1 month and HATED the writing portions. He just didn't have enough fine motor to do those activites with ease. Our tester was great. They used a timer and broke it up into small pieces and surprisingly he ended up scoring pretty well on those sections.

Sounds like you found a great tester who is going to be able to do the appropriate tests. I hope you get some great data to help you plan for his educational needs.

Crisc
    crisc - We will be doing the WJ-III with the school soon, and I am worried about it for exactly the same reason your DS hated it - the writing portions. My DS5 will probably be taking it around the same age as yours. He does not like to write, and he does not want to spell. Do you remember how many writing portions do they use for 5 yos?

shellymos - I guess my recommendation to split testing days stem from my fear about how my son might do in the achievement testing! I wouldn't have wanted DS to take both the iq and achievement in the same day.

S
    S
    Yes, I think she recommended splitting the testing into three mornings. My guess is ideally it would be the WIAT one day, SB-V another, and the Torrance and Bender the other day. It may go quicker but I think that will be her plan. I think that will give him time and not make him feel overwhelmed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM