Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    The more we share with our friends and neighbors in an appropriate way, the stronger our voice will be.

this is really hard to do when your born with a foot in your mouth....lol

OP Offline
    I MAY HAVE FOUND SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

We will be going on a visit next tuesday

www.taylorschool.org

It's in Troy NY

E
    E
    Congrats on the find! Good luck with the tour next week.

Oh, here's hoping for a dreamy school that suits all your family's needs! smile

Kriston
    S
    S
    See my goal would be to find a school for gifted children that was free if your child was gifted. Or maybe just a school for highly gifted children as I would assume they would typically struggle more in a regular ed. environment. I realize all the drama that would cause, but I don't really care that much. All sorts of parents would want their kids to get into the school because everyone wants their kids to be gifted, LOL. Had I not ended up with a child like mine I would have never cared at all. Sad to say, but true. I don't think I ever used the word gifted until I met him because I really didn't get what it was. I thought it meant smart. And I really hate it when someone finds out what he is doing and says "well it's because you are a good mommy to him, and you teach him." Do they think that I was teaching him to read at 18 months? I can't even take the credit of teaching him because he already knows things I don't. Wow, I went off on a tangent.

I did contact that taylor school, but they have pretty high tuition. I told them to send me information incase he fails in his public school and I have to frantically find something else to meet his needs. She found that amusing. I hope that they are able to work with you and give you financial assistance if it is a good fit. I told her that although we probably don't meet the criteria to receive financial assistance, we wouldn't have the money for the school. Especially with a second child that is 3 years younger. She said she totally understood. At least she didn't pull the whole "well if that is what your child really needs you will make it work" kind of thing. Because that always ticks me off. So if my child needs that education we should all live in a box so he gets the proper schooling.

Re-reading that post I look like I am mad. But I am not at all (but don't feel like going back in and making it look like I am less agravated, LOL). But is is frustrating that there isn't anything around and that we are going to have to go ahead with public school. It makes me a bit anxious.

OP Offline
    I think we will be able to get financial aid...... I will keep you updated....

Westchestermom,

My BF moved to Westchester b/c supposively they have a top notch school system. Reading your comment makes me wonder if that is why her child did not do so well in the district. She was a student at a private school in NYC and when they moved she had a complete meltdown and could not go to school. Her mother worked with doctors and finally came across sensory issues which they think is her problem. Last year was a sad one for her and though she completed her school it was all from the house and you can count how many times she went to class. She is now in a very small private school and seems to be doing better. Of course she has good days and bad days but is progressing. I always thought it was b/c public school was such a different beast altogether and for a child that never went to public school it can be scary, but the fact that they don't even have a gifted program could have been part of the problem.

OP Offline
    www.taylorschool.org

My review:

It's very gifted friendly!!!!!

They only cover 60% in financial aid

we're to poor to pay the rest... oh well!

Oh, no! So what does that mean, Soupy? What will you do?

Kriston
    A new hire of ours moved his family into a public school district with a great GT program that evaluated his son before they moved and offered them enrollment if they would move into the district. I am not sure this would work for everyone, but its something to think about.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM