Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #32349 12/08/08 03:20 PM
    OP Offline
    Hi -

I'm writing because I have a DD4 who has just been identified as highly gifted, and I'm not quite sure where to start in the process of determining how best to meet her needs.

Background: She will begin kindergarten next year, and I have been exhausting myself going to open houses and school tours and talking to parents with older kids about their experiences. One of my friends has 2 of her kids at a school for gifted children and talked to me about the school. I was initially wary of getting DD tested, because I didn't understand the process; however, after my friend explained to it to me, and what we could learn about DD's strengths and weaknesses, I thought it might be a good idea to have it done.

DH and I approached the evaluation with no expectations for her to be identified as gifted; in fact, in my mind, I had already written off the gifted school as a possibility, because although we certainly thought (and still do!) that DD is bright, we did not think that she would meet the 145 cut-off for admissions. However, when she exceeded that score, I was kind of thrown for a loop. We have a follow-up scheduled with the psychologist next week, so I'll have more information then.

About DD4: Overall, she is a happy child. She interacts with other children well, but definitely prefers older kids; she still can't stop talking about her 9-year-old friend from camp. That said, this year she's not been connecting with the kids in her class as well and really longs for a best friend.

Strengths: She loves learning about EVERYTHING, especially science. She loves "Bill Nye, the Science Guy" and has really been enjoying watching "NOVA Science Now" with DH. She becomes obsessed with different topics, like viruses, atoms, volcanoes, etc., and clearly understands and can explain complex abstract processes. Unfortunately, there's only so much I can help her with this!

She also seems to have an aptitude for learning languages and is fascinated by different cultures. I'm not fluent in Spanish or French, but have been teaching her what I can and she has absorbed it all; she's also very interested in learning Chinese (since the Olympics!) and Russian. In addition to the gifted school, we will also be applying to a dual-language immersion program and an IB program in our area.

Weaknesses? She's just beginning to read, even though she's known her alphabet since she was 2 and has been writing letter/words since she was 2.5. Quite frankly, this is one of the reasons why I wanted her to be evaluated--I was worried that there was a processing problem. Also, although she's been counting to 100 for over a year, she's really not connecting with math processes (addition or subtraction), so I'm not sure what's going on there, either.

Anyway, apologies for the long intro. I look forward to connecting with others who dealing with navigating the gifted waters!

Lilac Wine #32350 12/08/08 03:46 PM
    M
    M
    Welcome, Lilac Wine (beautiful name, by the way! Does anything smell better than lilacs??)

I just got here myself and don't have anything to contribute to a school choice query (we've homeschooled from the start for various reasons, one of which is the fact that my husband works shifts, and we wanted to maximize possible family time); but I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice from the wonderful people here. This is by far the kindest, most courteous, most supportive forum, on any subject, I've ever visited. We're glad you're here!

Your daughter sounds terrific! What fun to be so interested in languages, and science, too. I wouldn't worry right now about reading and math (though I'm sure the testing was a good idea, so that you could see for sure what's happening if you're concerned); a wise friend once said to me that childhood was a journey and not a race--maybe the reading and arithmetic parts of her brain are otherwise occupied with soaking up information about Russian and viruses (or Russian viruses?) right now! I've found with at least two of my kids that after periods that look like not much progress on some particular front, there comes a great big leap forward in ability.

Welcome!

peace
    minnie

minniemarx #32354 12/08/08 05:30 PM
    OP Offline
    Hi Minnie -

Thanks so much for the welcome. I am trying hard not to worry about the reading and math, but must admit that it's hard. However, what you said makes complete sense to me, and echoes what a friend told me about her gifted DS's path to reading.

One thing I failed to mention in my last post is that DD4 has been attending a play-based preschool since she was 2; therefore, she has never received any explicit instruction in reading and math, except what DH and I have *tried* to provide--very difficult, because DD4 has a strong personality and, especially recently, does not take direction well from us (although she listens very well to other adults). Anyway, I'm hoping that when she's in an environment where she is expected to read and do math, she'll be more likely to put forth the effort, because I know that she is capable...

My name is from a Jeff Buckley cover. Here's a link:
    smile

Many thanks again for your input, Minnie! I look forward to getting to know you and others better...

Lilac Wine #32355 12/08/08 05:43 PM
    B
    B
    hello, and welcome!

just a note on the reading front - our DS9 didn't decide to read until he was almost 6 ... by the end of Kindergarten he was reading at 4th or so grade level and in the middle of 2nd grade he was reading at 10th and now - well let's just say he can read anything he wants.

Last night I read a reassuring passage from Deborah Ruf's book "Losing our Minds" that essentially said a gifted child in particular will learn something when the conditions are right to learn that thing. In the case of our DS, reading came when he wanted to find information for himself instead of asking questions of us.

so, welcome! again

Barbara #32356 12/08/08 06:19 PM
    OP Offline
    Hi Barbara -

Thanks so much for your welcome and for sharing your experience with your DS. It's very reassuring. I'm obviously going to have to get a copy of "Losing Our Minds"--I saw it referenced here multiple times while I was lurking, and it seems to contain some great observations...

Thanks again! smile

Lilac Wine #32361 12/08/08 09:01 PM
    Welcome lilac wine! I also have an HG+ 4yo (mine's a boy) who will be going to kindy next fall. I love the little scientists.

You are very lucky to have so many school choices for your DD! We have our little public school or even smaller religious schools to choose from here. If you narrow down your school choices, others here have recommended visiting the school on a regular day (not just an open house).

Do you have info about the Davidson Young Scholar's program? Your DD can apply when she is 5. You will also need achievement testing I believe, and I think there may be some benefit to taking that before your DD is actually enrolled in a school if you plan to apply to DYS.

I hope you get loads of useful information in your follow-up meeting too. Glad you have found this site - it has helped me tremendously to know there are other parents going through the same stuff.

Lilac Wine #32362 12/08/08 10:51 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Lilac Wine
    Hi -

She also seems to have an aptitude for learning languages and is fascinated by different cultures. I'm not fluent in Spanish or French, but have been teaching her what I can and she has absorbed it all; she's also very interested in learning Chinese (since the Olympics!) and Russian. In addition to the gifted school, we will also be applying to a dual-language immersion program and an IB program in our area.

My eldest (8) attended a French immersion school for 4 years. He's now fluent enough to succeed in an after-school program designed for native speakers. Immersion schools are a good option for gifted kids for 3-4 years. They present a huge challenge at first. After that, the work can become easy. Mine was offered a grade skip but we changed to another school and now do the after-school program instead.

If you're thinking seriously about the immersion route, you might want to look around for after-school programs for your DD in the event that you change schools after a while. Don't assume that you won't change schools after a while! Thing is, your child will invest a lot of time and effort into learning the language and then lose a lot of it if she stops using it.

I find that learning to speak a second language is best done via immersion--- either at home, on the playground, or at school. My son can think in French and has a flawless accent. An advantage of an immersion school, if it has a strong program, is that your child will learn to read and write in the language in addition to speaking it. Plus, there's the cultural immersion, too.

Immersion schools that follow a national curriculum tend to teach the language very, very well.

I could go on and on about this topic: send me a private message if you want some more information.

Re: the 145+ school. I suggest asking very specific questions about their policies. Do they offer compacted courses (ie two years of spelling science done in one) in addition to acceleration (skipping a grade)? Are they big into subject mastery (ie you have to take all the tests for a subject before you can move up)? How do they feel about non-linear approaches to learning (ie skipping ahead to algebra and learning stuff like decimals and fractions in parallel)? How do they feel about "gaps in learning?" Are these to be avoided at all costs (IMHO, you do not want to hear this answer) or can they be good challenges if used wisely?

Hope this helps?

Val

Lilac Wine #32363 12/09/08 05:14 AM
    Originally Posted by Lilac Wine
    DH and I approached the evaluation with no expectations for her to be identified as gifted; in fact, in my mind, I had already written off the gifted school as a possibility, because although we certainly thought (and still do!) that DD is bright, we did not think that she would meet the 145 cut-off for admissions. However, when she exceeded that score, I was kind of thrown for a loop. We have a follow-up scheduled with the psychologist next week, so I'll have more information then.

Wow, what a story! Sounds like you have a good friend who has done you a good turn. Give her a hug for me, ok?

It is a bit dizzy-making to get those '145 and higher' results. Remember that you and your family members are probably all gifted and 'not reading' or doing more than counting in Math is very very normal for a 4 year old. My son, now 12, also knew all the letters and their sounds at 2, but didn't move on to reading til age 6. I didn't have any friend to steer me, so I also worried, and did nothing, since everyone thought I was crazy. I would try to spend an hour sitting in your local public school's kindy class though, just so that you can really see what ND (normally developing) kids are like. Just as you gravitated towards a friend with PG kids, you also have (most likely) been surrounded by family members who were bright or gifted as well. It's hard to get a grip on how diffferent our kids are when we may never spend time with ND kids. So go to the local school, and observe!

Then spend a few hours at the 145 school, again, observing the teachers and the students. Look at several grades.

As for the reading, did the IQ testing turn up any insights? I still don't really know what was up with my son, although I susupect that his visual system was age appropriate and that easy readers held no interest for him. It's also possible that he got some messages from the preschool teachers and got a fixed wrong idea. These kids do make mistakes; Mine remembers confusing Cinnimon with Synonym.

In a way, you have to be grateful that she isn't reading or mathing. It will give the school something to teach her. We call this a GAP and we love those gaps. Wouldn't it be nice for her to learn early that learning is a process and doesn't come without time and effort?

The teacher is the main thing for our kids. So forget what they said at the open houses, and observe with your own eyes and ears the teachers. Private schools can have the disadvantage of only having one choice amoung the teachers per grade, so check them out! Look for a sense of humor, and how the teacher handles kids who correct her.

No school is going to be perfect. I've heard from folks who are thrilled with their plus 145 school, and folks who are miserable. Did you get any hint if your daughter is 'near the cut off line or possibly way beyond it?' You want you kid right in the middle of the pack, if possible. Now I'm asking for the moon. I would have been delighted with 'the school has seen a kid like mine before.'
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #32364 12/09/08 07:17 AM
    M
    M
    Welcome Lilac Wine! Your DD sounds very clever! I have a DD5 and a DS7. Both of them started reading "late" by this boards standards, around 4y - 4.5y. But - and this is a big one - both quickly navigated to late 2nd grade early 3 grade reading levels within a few months of reading (one even read the first Harry Potter in KG; not unusual for HG+ kids but unusual for a child that hadn't been reading but 6 months). I suspect this might be the case with DD. Do encourage her and read to her... Try the approach of reading a line but stopping before the last word and see if she'll fill it in. If this is cumbersome, just read to her - often! BTW, we also go to a 145+ school and sometimes, it isn't what it's cracked up to be. Our school doesn't have a strict 145+ score requirement and you can clearly see the variance in the children. All are G+ (130+) but not all are HG. Thus, there are advantages to having them squarely in the "middle of the pack" as Grinity suggested but that is not the case for us with either child. I wish they were...but that is another post. Also, do encourage her language interest. Check your local library. I was pleasantly surprised to find a few free DVDs for checkout on Chinese, Spanish, even Hindi! Also, do check out your State gifted organization to see if anyone has experience with the schools you are considering as well as ask if you can speak with someone on the PTA/PTO just another perspective... Good luck and again, Welcome!

Last edited by momx2; 12/09/08 07:18 AM.
    Val #32367 12/09/08 08:09 AM
    OP Offline
    Thank you so much for your insights, Val! I also agree that immersion is the best method of learning a second/foreign language. We have an immersion school with a program in French in one of our public schools, and I went to one of the open houses recently. I am sad to say that I was very unimpressed:

* There were very few if any opportunities for cooperative and project-based learning; I did not observe any in the 5 classes I saw, but made a point to ask about it during the Q & A that followed. The principal hemmed and hawed, but admitted that the kids have time to do that "later, in the upper grades."
    * There are no textbooks in the target language after kindergarten (although there are library books in the target language), so students were either reading in English or translating from English to French when called upon. How is biliteracy being promoted, especially when research indicates that once English language arts is introduced, kids typically shun pleasure reading in the target language?
    * The facility is decrepit and looks as though it hasn't been updated since 1970. Not only is this an aesthetic issue, but also to me an indication of the district's support of the school. It was a red flag to me when I drove up.
    * The school provides no opportunities for developing the kids' social language in the target language; the principal told me that they only have time to devote to "academic language."
    * It is overcrowded.
    * Some parents are very active in the school, but parental involvement overall is spotty at best.

I am very disappointed that this is not an option for us.

However, I've been to the dual-language school twice, and they are clearly using best practices. I like that the classrooms are a mix of 50% native Spanish speakers and 50% native English speakers, because this fosters the acquisition of social language, promotes cultural awareness and facilitates cooperative learning and project-based learning. At this point, it's our number one public school pick.

Thanks so much for the tips on what to ask at the 145+ school. The only thing that I can tell you is that the school does NOT have a problem with gaps. I asked about this at the open house and heard from both the director and a kindergarten teacher that this was normal and expected; also, my friend whose 2 kids attend the school told me the same thing, because her DS was a late reader, and her DD is still not reading fluently, but the school is very accommodating. That made me feel better. However, I'm interested in getting answers to the other questions you posed as well, and really appreciate your taking the time to give me this input--MANY THANKS AGAIN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM