Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 123 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD9 was recommending a library book about wizard craft to DS6. DS replied that his teacher had told his class they couldn't check books out of that section of the library because "they were too hard."

Grrrr...

I told DS that we could stop at the library after school and check out whatever he wants on MY library card.

Our school did that to dd9 last year. I just wnet to the Librarian and had her look at DD's reading scores on their "testing". When she saw that she was several grades ahead, she sent a note to the teacher. All is well now.

However, dd prefers the public library. So much more to choose from and Interlibrary loan is wonderful!!

I remember getting out a pretty large book on Marie Curie when I was in 3rd or 4th grade and the skeptical look on the teacher's face was kind of discouraging! It was a couple inches thick, but I really liked Marie Curie; not sure how I had heard about her.

I wrote a report on the book but always wished the teacher had been more encouraging or at least neutral on it - 'do you really think you can finish that book? really....?' She just made me feel weird. I LOVED the book, btw.

What I fail to understand is why they care if a kid can't finish the book. Is there some permanent damage being done there that I don't recognize?

The kid is interested in the book for whatever reason. Maybe he'll just look at the pictures. Maybe Mom and Dad will read the book to the child before bed. Maybe the kid will learn how to read because he so wants to read THAT book. Whatever. Who cares! Give the kid the book!!!

<end of rant> blush

Kriston
    C
    C
    This was actually the problem that got me a meeting with DS's teacher and has devolved into ugliness. Why is it somehow "unfair" "difficult" or "complicated" for a child to check out a book he/she can read? Because DS is in K, his teacher insists he can't actually read any books and therefor he keeps bringing home picture books that are well out of his comfort zone. I lost it at the one written in cursive...

So here we are in Dec and the child has yet to have an appropriate choice available. K kids have to choose from a selection the teacher puts out on the table- they are not allowed to choose at will. I swear she purposefully puts out books that she knows are not in the K-2nd grade level chunk just to make me want to scream! DS given up and just lets the other kids choose and he takes whatever is left.

...'cause that makes a kid love reading! mad

<choking on disgust>

Last edited by Kriston; 12/05/08 04:05 PM. Reason: I was so mad, I couldn't spell "disgust"!!!!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    K kids have to choose from a selection the teacher puts out on the table- they are not allowed to choose at will. I swear she purposefully puts out books that she knows are not in the K-2nd grade level chunk just to make me want to scream! DS given up and just lets the other kids choose and he takes whatever is left.

HOLY CRAP. mad mad

is there a madder smiley out there!!! ??? That is bad, you should feel ok to be p.o.'d This actually makes me feel like crying - probably partly my own M. Curie baggage. Keep working on this one CAMom !

I
    I
    Every time I let DD4 check out a book from the library that I know is way beyond her level, she ends up surprising me with how much she's able to figure out. It definitely hasn't hurt her love of reading! It's disconcerting when DD4's books are more challenging than what DD6 is reading at school. crazy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    What I fail to understand is why they care if a kid can't finish the book. Is there some permanent damage being done there that I don't recognize?

The kid is interested in the book for whatever reason. Maybe he'll just look at the pictures. Maybe Mom and Dad will read the book to the child before bed. Maybe the kid will learn how to read because he so wants to read THAT book. Whatever. Who cares! Give the kid the book!!!

<end of rant> blush

I completely agree! What's wrong with exploring? And people wonder why kids don't learn to think outside the box mad

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription
    by indigo - 09/23/24 10:02 AM