Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    M
    M
    Congrats Soup! YOUR scores are great! whistleYour SON's scores are great! Will DYS give you $ for this? If your child is in DYS, they just might (I'm a newbie so I am not really sure). No more pestering the mail carrier!!!

Last edited by momx2; 11/17/08 12:00 PM.
    really?

I just set up this thing and sent it to all of my facebook friends

http://www.pledgie.com/campaigns/2064

he is not a DYS kid.... I think his IQ score is too low, although, i have a feeling the iq test is off..... I guess it's off to application land for me!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by RJH
    DS's just came. Not as good as he or I thought they would be frown Verbal was 415, 20/50 and math was 436 31/50.

Still quite good for DS's age. You should read Dottie's post about Fall testing v. Spring testing... Your DS is very close on math...

Originally Posted by momx2
    Originally Posted by RJH
    DS's just came. Not as good as he or I thought they would be frown Verbal was 415, 20/50 and math was 436 31/50.

Still quite good for DS's age. You should read Dottie's post about Fall testing v. Spring testing... Your DS is very close on math...

Probably just not his day..... he can take it twice in one year!

have him try again!

M
    M
    [quote=ienjoysoup]

http://www.pledgie.com/campaigns/2064

quote]

Hey, if people can set up websites for folks to contribute to a couple's honeymoon...anything goes! Great Idea! Good luck! And Soup, at some point, I would suggest a retest for DS if you can find someone willing to administer the IQs for a reasonable price. I am sure you already looked into this and short of having to read all of your previous posts, you could try a local junior college or university to see if they can assist at a nominal cost. I would look at one with PhD programs (well, maybe not a junior college but if they had a qualified counselor) in Psychology/Testing. HTH and Good Luck! Time to ask for Xmas donations to the site rather than gifts from the relatives smile

smile

we are going to try to request the district test him again when he is 8

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    RJH, the math DOES qualify, doesn't it? He's 2nd grade, right? He only needs 435 for the math.

Yes, he made it by 1 point. grin And yes, he's in 2nd grade. I guess he had me convinced it was "pretty easy" (his words). LOL! He did say the verbal part was harder, though. wink

M
    M
    Well, Congrats RJH's DS. I wasn't sure how old DS was or what grade. We are planning to take the SCAT. I need to call and schedule it.
    BTW - Verbal analogies get tough quickly. Even on the pretest on the CTY site, I wasn't clear on 2 of questions - even with the answers. And, if you are an overthinker or an overanalyzer, analogies are not necessarily the best item to be tested on... Although I am unsure what could be substituted for them... Anyway, analogies will rear their ugly head for our kids for many years to come!!!

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by momx2
    Well, Congrats RJH's DS. I wasn't sure how old DS was or what grade. We are planning to take the SCAT. I need to call and schedule it.
    BTW - Verbal analogies get tough quickly. Even on the pretest on the CTY site, I wasn't clear on 2 of questions - even with the answers. And, if you are an overthinker or an overanalyzer, analogies are not necessarily the best item to be tested on... Although I am unsure what could be substituted for them... Anyway, analogies will rear their ugly head for our kids for many years to come!!!

Thanks, I agree with the hard analogies. I had to look at 2 answers from the practice test, too. blush

After 22 days, we finally received our scores!

What I thought was interesting was that her raw score was higher on the verbal by 5, but she had almost identical scaled scores: 440 and 441. (She thought that she had done worse on the verbal than on the quantitative).

I also thought it was interesting that last years girls and boys had similar verbal scores, but the boys did better on the quantitative. I am spending too much time analyzing this data...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by yoji - 09/13/24 08:25 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM