Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 126 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    L
    L
    Follow up to the SCAT discussion -

I have all the info for the SCAT including the code my question here is should I do it? My dd7 is not terribly advanced in Math and while she is a good reader I am having second thoughts about the whole thing and whether or not she is a good candidate. Does anyone have insight into participation in the program were she to get accepted? Will she be overwhelmed by the workload and level of the other kids? Theoretically we could participate in all that they have to offer if accepted. The day trips and overnight field trips described in the Discovery?(parent + kid) programs sound fabulous.

A
    az1 Offline
    A
    Thanks.

My older child DD9 is taking the EXPLORE this year. It won't be given until then end of January.

I have a good feeling about today..... yeah today is gonna be the day.....

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm crossing my fingers for all of us!!

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Nothing, nadda, zip for us. cry

no scores today

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was hoping that by taking the test earlier in the school year, we would avoid the last minute rush.....but I guess not. This coming Sat will be a full 3 weeks for us. I really hope they come this week.

still nothing here!

I am hoping tomorrow, it will officially be 3 weeks on Monday.

The guy at our testing center said two weeks, so at least he has the impression things are still pretty fast. Nothing here yet, but it's only been a week.

Last edited by chris1234; 11/16/08 12:06 PM.
    Ok, scratch all that! I realized after I wrote, I didn't really even check mail yesterday - ta da!
    Well, the scores could have been better, but I am pretty pleased with results.
    They are really in line with what ds did on testing last year with the k-bit, so no big surprises there:
    He is in 3rd grade; his verbal was very good - 427, but still not qualifying for classes, so that was disappointing for him. It really sounded like when he left the testing place that he was 'stuck on the last question' on both parts of the test. I wondered at the time if that was really the last question or just where he got stuck. I spent some time explaining how really really good that 427 is but he is still a tiny bit unhappy about not getting to take the classes (unless he decides to try again, which I suggested he could if he wanted).
    I also asked if it is really hard for him to skip or guess at questions and he said, definitely, he hates doing that - I guess I have a perfectionist on my hands despite my denials of it...

I hope taking it helped him in the following week when he had to run through the CoGAT at school; wish I knew when and if I would ever see those scores!

On the bright side for folks still waiting - perhaps it is a good sign of having qualified for courses! smile Good luck to all the kiddoes still waiting.

My main question now is whether the percentile rank amongst 5th graders can be translated into a percentile rank amongst 3rd graders, but I think I have read somewhere here that this would not be possible - let me know if anyone has any theories on it!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by yoji - 09/13/24 08:25 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM