Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hi, Everyone,

DS8 and I decided to work on Descartes Cove, but it's been so long that we can't remember/figure out how to operate the dial on the first thing - where it asks 1 yd. = how many square feet. Can't type the answer in the box, and can't figure out how to move the dial. If we put the cursor in the very center, it turns green, but we still can't seem to turn the dial.

Any help?

And sorry for the boring post. It's been a busy fall and I do check in to at least read from time to time. Hello to everyone and welcome to all the new people who've joined in the last few months.

Sorry, questions! We don't have Descartes Cove, so I can't be of any help. But I have downloaded the demo and the game looks wonderful. So if you find your answer, could you report back about what you think of the game? The level of challenge that it provides, verses the cost of the game? I would love to hear from you, or others, who have tried it!!

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with the answer...

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Try dragging the little pointer on the dial.

Be aware that the Homeschool Buyers' Co-op has this for $105 instead of $150. Still pricey, but not nearly so much! Anyone can join the co-op--afterschoolers welcome! They often have some really good deals.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_epp_offer&Itemid=689

Note also the FREE math videos--pre-alg, algebra, & geometry--if you use the 100 Smartpoints that you get for joining the co-op:

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/hotmath-school-videos/

Sorry for the "commercial" (har har!), but it seemed relevant to the discussion. smile

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Yes, that's where we got it.

Ebeth, DS8 loves it, but he needs my help setting up the problems. He's only had 3rd grade math.

Cathy, that's what I thought but it won't move. Very frustrating!

That's weird. I wonder if the software is somehow incompatible with your mouse. We can just click and drag the pointer where we want it to go.

Thanks Kriston!!

I went looking for the game on the Homeschool Buyers' Co-op a few weeks ago, just after we watched the demo movie. For some reason, it would not load the page back then, and I concluded that the deal was over. I'm quite happy to see that it still exists!! $105 is still pricey, particularly with holiday bills approaching. But I am being very, very tempted! A nice review from someone would definitely push me over the spending edge!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Questions, what type of computer are you using? And are you using the full version or the trial?

BTW, I can't seem to find the trial version link. If anyone has it, please post. I'll poke around a little more.

JB

Questions: I just saw your post after having wondered away for a bit. It sounds like a great game. I could see from the demo movie that the problems were pretty challenging. One of the problems on the movie was an algebra problem with 3 equations and 3 unknowns. I'm not sure if my DS8 will be motivated by it or frustrated by it. Hopefully that is one of the harder problems.... ?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    It is mostly geared for middle schoolers, ebeth, so it is NOT easy material. We have it--I couldn't resist the group buy. But I haven't given it to DS7 yet. He's not quite there yet.

My goal is to use it as a motivator to learn the stuff. I don't think it's for teaching the math so much as it is for using what they've learned in a problem-solving manner once they know it.

Oh, and some of the levels are definitely easier than others. I think DS will do well with the geometry and the measurement levels already. That should keep him busy for a while, while we gradually get to the pre-algebra, algebra and other stuff.

Does that help at all?

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM