Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 96 guests, and 60 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Sure. I guess my point was really aiming at non-experts in the field of psychology (like well-meaning but misguided teachers) trying to diagnose a kid based on their own faulty notions of what constitutes AS or ADHD. Not every kid with a lot of energy has ADHD, and not every kid who is quirky has AS.

I really like Dr. Webb's points that not eveything quirky requires a diagnosis, and even someone who shows signs that could conceivably lead to diagnosis might have something else wrong if the symptoms aren't reasonably consistent. I think we pathologize a lot in our culture.

A kid who shows the signs of something resembling AS only three days a week (and whose dad happens to be an expert on AS!) may not require a diagnosis so much as a change in approach. Clearly something isn't working, but is it the kid's problem if he's perfectly fine 4 days a week? Or is it that the school situation not fitting the kid's needs?

I'd argue for the latter, but then I usually do... wink

That's not to say that symptoms of something like an LD are always 100% consistent in a kid. I don't think that was Dr. Webb's point and I definitely agree with you that it isn't accurate.

Kriston
    L
    L
    My son's dyspraxia symptoms are definitely worse on days when he is tired or distracted, but there are so many days when he compensates for this disability well enough that you would never know that he has it. It is those days where he is either tired or distracted that the glitch monster strikes, sometimes causing him to do things like play the left hand notes with his right hand in piano or write a number backwards.

I am so hoping that he has a good day when he has his piano recital next month. His piano teacher talked to him about what to do if he does make a mistake during the recital and I think he can handle it. He has been practicing more than he ever practiced before, but he knows that sometimes this glitch just happens no matter how much he practices.

He knows that even with the glitch, he will play piano better than people who have never taken lessons.

L
    L
    My son has some signs of OCD, like his older sister, but he can hide them when he is talking to doctors. At times he has had tics that came out when he was stressed, but he has always been able to suppress these tics when he was on stage. We read about Tourettes syndrome, but he doesn't think he has this because he can control them when he needs to, but when we are reading together and he makes a joke, he will tell me it is a form of Tourettes and then tell me he couldn't suppress the urge to make the joke.

W
    W
    I too attended the webinar and I found the reactive hypoglycemia information to be the most interesting, new, and useful information (I had read the book). How does one go about getting a child tested for this, or is it even necessary? Sounds like with a change in diet you can tell whether or not it helps, and improvement is important rather than a diagnosis I suppose. Are there other suggestions besides the pretzels? I've been buying "gorp cubes" at our local food co-op, but I've wondered if all of that honey is a good thing for my intense little girl. I'd love to hear some ideas and strategies from those of you who've been trying different things.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    WillaAnn-

We have found that my dd with RH needs to eat about every 2 hours. She is pretty picky and goes through food preferences that last for months on end and then stop without a warning. She went through a French Toast phase, a Twin Sun toast phase (two eggs cooked in holes poked out of bread-from the Star wars cookbook), particular Luna bars, oatmeal, etc. I always put a dash of vanilla flavored protein powder in the oatmeal. Currently, she prefers chicken noodle soup, lentil soup, and those high protein pretzels.

It is difficult to find portable foods that my daughter enjoys. She is really tired of protein bars, and we cannot take any nuts to our homeschool functions due to some members having severe allergies. I try to keep a packet of Kashi instant oatmeal in the car for "emergencies" and many places I can beg a bit of hot water or the use of a microwave.

good luck-

W
    W
    Thanks Lorel. We'll try the more frequent, substantial snacks and see how it goes. She tends to make it through school ok, and we count our blessings for that, but it has been a challenge dealing with meltdowns at home and on the go. I appreciate your reply.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM