Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    delbows #29314 10/30/08 08:25 AM
    Originally Posted by kriston
    he missed only one question on that part (Frankly, I was surprised that he missed any--I'm blaming that on the group testing...).

Probably, the dork that sits behind him wiped a booger on his shirt and distracted him. laugh

verbal=65 Q's
    qnantitative=60 Q's
    nonverbal=65 Q's

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kriston
    Kriston #29329 10/30/08 09:29 AM
    Neato: The Cogat data that you posted may depend on grade level. My DS took the Cogat when he was in 1st grade at the age of six. On his report, they list the number of items in each of the three sections (Verbal, Quantitative, and Nonverbal) as equal to 40. (That was in Sept. 2006). Or maybe they have revised it since then?

I found the numbers on the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (which he took at the same time) to be completely confusing. All we received were "Predicted Scores", "Obtained Scores", and "National percentile rank". On the Cogat subsection of the report, they included the raw scores.

Interestingly, his language achievement scores for the ITBS (Reading and Language totals) are almost identical to his CogAT Verbal (lowest), his Math Total IS identical to the CogAT Quantitative section and the overall composites are exactly the same.

The only thing that I can add (which may or may not make any sense or be worthwhile!) is that on the back of the Iowa report it mentions that "the developmental standard score (SS) used with the achievement batteries describes students' academic development. Average scores obtained during the spring test are 200 in grade 4, 250 in grade 8, and 275 in grade 11." So the scores on the IBST go up to at least 275 (? possibly? can anyone help me out here??), whereas the Cogat has a very, very low ceiling. It is quoted as 145 or 150, but DS hit the ceiling at 140 for the standard age scores, according to our gifted teacher. Out of 120 questions, he missed 6 (3 verbals, 2 Quals, and 1 non-verbal). This might also be grade dependent though?

I don't know if this helps or confuses the issue. Sorry!!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #29338 10/30/08 10:10 AM
    D
    D
    Thanks for the attempts to answer my question. I was really looking for a ball park answer and can now conclude that the # of questions for each section is closer to 50 than 10 or 100.

What I am further confused about is how different the parent reports can be from one school and year to the next. I think the schools must decide what and how much they want included. The report from last year for the ITBS included SS, stanine, percentiles, # of questions, # attempted and # correct but did not have any information for the CogAT.

This year, the info is quite sparse for both, but especially for the CogAT which only includes the percentile and stanine-no IQ equivalent looking score. It does have a very brief and generic paragraph to explain what percentile means.

Neither report has a back side or any further explanation.

Ebeth, thanks for the interesting info regarding the SS averages per grade. I see that his current composite SS increased by 21 points over last year. I�m at least glad to see an increase rather than decline.

Dottie #29341 10/30/08 10:32 AM
    D
    D
    I really don�t know much about the ITBS. The only evidence that I see that the SS could possibly be on a continuum is to compare DS�s math totals from last year and this year. Each were/are 99th percentile. The SS are 299 (6th) and 311 (7th).

Either way, I don�t put too much stock into grade level group testing. The above level achievement tests are far more meaningful with this population.

Dottie #29357 10/30/08 04:33 PM
    Our report for 150 simply states 99 as national percentile rank.

Dottie #29369 10/30/08 07:35 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Bummer about the lack of detail. Even though it's splitting hairs in some ways on a test like the Cogat, it's still fun to see a 150 (99th percentile) versus a 135 (99th percentile). Technically the 150 is at the 99.9th percentile, but I doubt the Cogat would report it as such. Or does it?
    What do you mean by splitting hairs? We were never given percentiles; just the SAS scores, which by themselves, don't mean much to a parent. I haven't known how much faith to put in them anyway since my daughter panicked during the test when she didn't know an answer. (She told me that she took a test where she didn't know any of the answers and that it was her worst day of school EVER!)

Dottie #29834 11/08/08 09:42 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    As for the Naglieri, it's definitely NOT achievement based. It's very visual, and from my understanding probably most like the Matrix Reasoning subtest of the WISC-IV. The test is comprised of series of patterns, and the child needs to choose the best 4th (?) pattern to complete each series. You can find examples on the internet.

So, if Pud scored a 16 on Matrix Reasoning, would he likely do well on the Naglieri? One of the school districts we are considering moving to uses the Naglieri for entrance to GT program.

Dottie #29847 11/08/08 01:20 PM
    S
    S
    How would I find out what percentile that might be in? Their cutoff is 96th percentile on Naglieri. I'm assuming that is based on national norms? What would I need to ask to find out? They won't actually give him the test unless we live in the school district but we don't want to move unless he'll do well enough on the test to get into the GT program.

It's not the best program, but it certainly has good points. Ninety minutes a day with the GT teacher for math and 90 minutes a day with the GT teacher for Language arts (reading, social studies). The rest of the day with regular classmates.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by aeh - 09/16/24 02:00 PM
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM