Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 238 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    TXMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Does anyone know what the Woodcock Johnson III ceilings are (is it like the WIAT at 160)? Also, if I have a raw score is there a way to find grade level equivalents. I have some scores I'm trying to figure out exactly what they mean for my DS.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend!

Aha! I have a few minutes before I have to pick the little terrors up and I just got done cleaning!

My DD8 just took the WJ and she also had the WIAT last year. Don't ask, kid likes to take tests.

My OPINION is that the WJ tested her upper limits more. I appreciated having that info as we always wondered, where it it TOO hard for her.

Her GE/AE's were all over the place, and truly, I think it's really hard to understand exactly what they mean. At least for me it is. I loved our tester. Even though her broad score GE's were really high his rec's for working level basically split the difference between actual grade and GE. His recommendations were basically to have her work there.

In talking to the school about it, he advised us to focus on her percentile rankings.

The most sense I could make out of it is that while for a short time at her best here's how high she could go. Do I want that to be her new expectation for daily work. No way.

HTH

Neato

Oh I get it, now......I think crazy And the guy that wrote the report is familiar with our district and that's who he was writing it for.

Maybe they aren't blowing smoke when they tell me how *advanced* the curriculum is. Hmmmm, something to ponder.........

T
    TXMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Incogneato & Dottie... thank you for your responses.

I'm very surprised that the 12th grade GE wouldn't include calculus. At what point or GE does calculus become a factor? If the test doesn't measure today's expectations, this may explain my school's hesitancy to consider achievement scores for any placement/modification decisions. Is this why I've read on this board about others testing on the SCAT and Explore tests?

If you want a calculus test, you can take the GRE smile

acs Offline
    Cathy, do you mean the GRE subject test? I just took the GRE general test last year and I don't remember any calculus. The GRE is on computer and self-levels so maybe I just didn't make it that high! I got in the low 700's, so there were some hard questions I'm sure I didn't see, but I still did get some challenge (for me, at least, since I am not a mathy person). Or maybe I did get calculus questions and didn't know enough to recognize them. Still, if there are any calculus questions they are few and far between and only for those who are doing very well.

Probably the best calculus test would be the AP test, or GRE subject test, neither of which I took.

BTW, I attribute my above 700 score on the GRE to having homeschooled DS through pre-algebra. If I hadn't worked with him through those classes, my score would have probably been a hundred or more points lower than it was!

Last edited by acs; 10/22/08 10:06 AM.
    Well, it's been a long time since I took the GRE! But, yes, I think it was a separate subject test.

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Well, it's been a long time since I took the GRE! But, yes, I think it was a separate subject test.

Yep, I wouldn't be breaking 700 on that one crazy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM