Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 127 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    October
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Jwack Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a son 9, 4th grade, IQ in 99.9% with “stealth” dyslexia. Reads above grade level but any sort of writing is incredibly taxing and difficult. Currently in a small private catholic school, it’s not terrible depending on the teacher (this years ok, 2nd grade was awful.) We tried an independent gifted school for a stint in 3rd grade but it seems like with almost every school/teacher, we go through the IEP, they give lip service to his accommodations (extra time, limiting the amount of work, talk to text) but after a couple of weeks, they aren’t taking the time to follow any of it, instead theyre admonishing him him for not trying, not finishing his work, not paying attention. This is almost always involving worksheets with a lot of different boxes or types of questions or extended written assignments. We’ve looked at a project based private school in La Jolla (where we currently live) but it’s more than twice what we’re paying now, the teachers were all very young, and after the introductory meeting where we discussed all of this from the beginning and the director assured us it was almost entirely project based, they don’t use workbooks etc., we went on to speak with the teachers of whom several discussed the basis of the work being worksheets/workbooks. Ugh. We haven’t been able to find anything near San Diego that supports both dysgraphia/dyslexia AND giftedness. He’s bored out of his mind at and at the same time super stressed and frustrated. Looking for suggestions in San Diego area or Salt Lake City/Park City/Logan area where we are considering moving. Or if anyone has info on an amazing school somewhere else we’d really appreciate it. Thank you!!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome, Jwack!

I'm sorry that I don't have direct knowledge of any of the schools in your area, but I do have some thoughts to throw into the mix.

1. In addition to providing appropriate academic challenge, are you looking for a school that will merely accommodate his dyslexia (e.g., 50%/100% extended time, speech-to-text, etc.), or one that will offer skills remediation for the written expression challenges that you describe (which sounds more like dysgraphia), and possibly subtle ongoing word-level reading needs (the stealth dyslexia)? These will lead to different menus of schooling solutions.

2. Think about the range of schooling structures that will work for your family situation and your child's needs. For example, is homeschooling an option? Would a one-to-one school work (e.g. Fusion Academy)? Does it need to be more-or-less five-days-a-week and standard school hours? Do any of the public or private schools accessible to you have a hybrid option (partial days in a school, and partial days with a private tutor/homeschool, or selected classes in-school, and selected classes tutored/homeschooled).

We are one of the many families who found homeschooling to be a good solution for a profile similar to that of your son. In our case, the compensated dyslexia and dysgraphia passed grade level function only after middle school. We started using a home-based Orton-Gillingham spelling intervention (remediating the dyslexia from the spelling side rather than the reading side) around 2nd grade, and completed it during 7th grade. Many years later, there are quite a few other resources available for the same function, some of them self-paced and online. We also chose a focused, targeted writing curriculum not tied to any of the other content areas, which we used from fifth through eighth grades, for lessons of no more than 15 minutes a day. For all other reading and writing tasks (including math), we accommodated with read-aloud, human-scribed dictation or assistive technology (text-to-speech/speech-to-text).

There are others on this forum who have had experiences with one-to-one schools.

3. Consider that a good-enough solution that prioritizes one of the exceptionalities and then relies on afterschooling to support the other exceptionality might actually be good enough for a time.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Hey!

If a public school approves an IEP or 504 and they don’t follow through, it’s illegal. It sounds like you have enough data/diagnosis to get him identified gifted and get a 504 at public school. Our school district takes the 504 accommodations seriously.

Maybe start looking at the public schools. Sometimes there are magnet schools within the system for gifted or interests like stem or creative arts.

Our school district doesn’t have any specialized schools, but I’ve already had a conversation with our school team that leads me to believe that we could get my 2e son enrolled in a neighboring district if it somehow fit better, gifted, disability, or special interest. The catch would be we would have to transport. But if you’re in a bad situation, extra effort on transportation might be worth it.

My son is 2e an and has a 504 at our public school. It’s not perfection… but they do put a lot of effort into making the accommodations happen. Currently it’s hard to get extra time on writing, but the teacher is trying to use the time and resources available and we are doing some catch up work at home.

My experience so far leads me to prefer seasoned teachers who have taught the same grade for many years. They know the material very well and can modify curriculum, the environment and their daily schedule to meet needs. Teachers that get thrown into a classroom at the last second or are brand new will be overwhelmed and intimidated by my kid’s needs and abilities. The last 2 years the school has carefully placed my child with specific instructors. It makes a huge difference. I’ve been in meetings where they tell me they will handpick instructors for him in the future. Literally years of advocacy to get to this point, but it’s possible to get the public school working with you to help your kid!

S
    S
    Parent of dysgraphic here. Got a 504 and lots of advocacy was required to get it followed. It is not going to be smooth. A 504 is nothing without advocacy.
    Is it a PIA to advocate? YES! Is it fair? NO! What about kids who don't have squeaky parents?
    Don't be quick to write people or schools off. When you get negativity, respond with how it makes your child feel-- no teacher wants to make a kid feel bad. When there are logistical problems, help them work it out. If there are things he's not learning, teach him yourself so he can show what he knows. Solve problems yourself to help them out.
    My kid was an "unpleasant" personality so not one that people wanted to go out of their way for. But they still did it. With advocacy and parent support.

M
    M
    I agree with spaghetti and wanted to add a bit more:

When I was trying to request a 504 a year ago, I reached out to my Parent Training and Information Center. I had a contact from my county who knew a lot about my school district, student services and the law.

She encouraged me to absolutely be a squeaky wheel. And she also told me that a 504 is only as good as how much effort the family puts into it. That really encouraged me to stand up and ask for what I believe is appropriate and not let the school spin things around and gaslight me.

We had private testing & diagnosis. I requested the 504. The school asked me what we wanted for my son. I wrote a 504 plan for him based on the testing report and some specific problems we had with keeping track of work. The school approved nearly all of my requests. It was a ton of work on my part and I still have loads of meetings and emails to make sure everyone understands my son and is following the plan.

It’s working, but has required a ton of effort. It’s getting easier now that we’re past the initial requests.

This part “instead theyre admonishing him him for not trying, not finishing his work, not paying attention.” I had a similar problem with my son. I would nix this as firmly and swiftly as you can. Once I had diagnosis, I had a meeting with a bunch of school people and said that he absolutely needs to stop being punished for things related to disability. I was calm but also mad and unsure this school was going to work out for him. He hasn’t been punished for things related to disability since. I requested a ton of people to be at that meeting: school psych, principal, classroom teacher, gifted coordinator. If he has the potential to get in trouble for behaviors related to disability (like not doing his work)… whoever is in charge of discipline at the school needs to be informed. In our case it’s the principal.

Last edited by millersb02; 10/01/24 10:25 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 10/05/24 10:05 AM
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by millersb02 - 10/01/24 09:32 AM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by Val - 09/30/24 03:31 AM